HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How to purposely spook deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/284544-how-purposely-spook-deer.html)

madvilledoc 01-28-2009 04:43 PM

How to purposely spook deer?

Here's the scenario: You have a small honey hole in the woods. A small food plot (less than an acre) that you can sneak into and set up along an edge for the evening hunt. About an hour before dark, the deer start rolling in. But by dark, nothing of shooting size has appeared (at least that you can physically see) and you want to head home, but at the same time you don't want to spook Mr. Mass if he is there, somewhere in the dark. So how do you exit your stand without educating the deer.

In other words what are some methods you use to lightly/temporarily spook the deer away so that you can make your escape.

Huntinman23 01-28-2009 04:47 PM

RE: How to purposely spook deer?

I have had this problem before, all I did was did a blow that sounds like a deer alert blow they all left, I left simple as that, they all came back the next day.

RockinChair 01-28-2009 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

I have had this problem before, all I did was did a blow that sounds like a deer alert blow they all left, I left simple as that, they all came back the next day.
x2. It's a natural deer vocalization and when a deer thinks another 'deer' is making it, they trust the alarm sound and scamper on out.

early in 01-28-2009 04:55 PM

Bring in a small bag of pebbles. When it's getting dark just start tossing them in their direction. They'll get bothered by it, and eventually leave the immediate area.At least long enough for your exit.;)

Mottz 01-28-2009 05:21 PM

Try a coyote call.

bowhuntn87 01-28-2009 05:28 PM

if this is on your farm or something, have someone drive in and pick you upwith a pickup or a four wheeler. deer are used to motorized vehicles coming and going all the time, and it won't bother them nearly as much asa person walking in and out.

MeanV2 01-28-2009 05:28 PM

Engage the Cloaking device!

I'm workin' on that[8D]

Dan

bowmanaj 01-28-2009 06:30 PM

only way I ever actually got out without getting noticed was to sit there for an hour or two in the dark till they moved on.. thinking time I guess

MathewsShooter30 01-28-2009 07:14 PM

I always have this problem...

I usually try to wait it out.. if not a just get down

Glad this topic came up

fingerz42 01-28-2009 08:09 PM

I run up and punch the deer in the face..