HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/284430-thinking-aboout-switching-rage-2-blade.html)

BigDaddy12t 01-27-2009 05:25 PM

Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

I have been shooting the Muzzy's for the last few years, but I have lost a couple of deer because of no blood trail. Thinking about giving the Rage a try. I have never shot a mechanical broadhead, and need to learn more about them. How do you practice with a mechanical? Do they have a practice head like the Muzzy's do? Is there anything that I need to know about them other then they leave a huge hole?[8D]How much do they cost compared to the Muzzy?

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 05:32 PM

RE: Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

The rages come with a practice head. Just make sure you have enough KE to use them or you will probably be disapointed with them. I think they are $35 a pack but im not 100% sure.

sgriffn 01-27-2009 05:41 PM

if you are not set on rage, go to the grim reaper web site and check out the videos they have on all broadheads. they show the grim reaper shooting through a steel drum and not damaging the head, but the rage gets destroyed as well as many others. Just check it out, I think they are both good heads.

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: sgriffn

if you are not set on rage, go to the grim reaper web site and check out the videos they have on all broadheads. they show the grim reaper shooting through a steel drum and not damaging the head, but the rage gets destroyed as well as many others. Just check it out, I think they are both good heads.
Everytime i see that video it cracks me up. When i start hunting steel drums, ill start usingthe grim reaper:D;)

sgriffn 01-27-2009 05:53 PM

well if the head want go through a thin layer of metal, do you actually think it will make it through a thick shoulder blade such that on a big game animal? Both heads are good, just depends on what each desires.

Steven McBee 01-27-2009 06:23 PM

try nap spitfire, great great broadheads and it does not have an o ring at all

Huntinman23 01-27-2009 06:32 PM

I really think that the rage is a good head as long as you don't hit any bone, from my experiences with it, they wont penetrate well when hitting bone. But if you know that you will hit vitals every time without hitting the shoulder blade your good to go.

MeanV2 01-27-2009 07:17 PM

Good Blood Trails are more about shot placement than broadhead model. There are lots of quality heads out there.

I used Muzzy for years and never had a problem with Bad Bloodtrails. They are a good head and cause good damage just not as tough as the heads I prefer now;)

There is no Broadhead that cures poor shot placement. Remember in Bowhunting things aren't always as they appear.

Dan

Schultzy 01-27-2009 07:21 PM

There is no Broadhead that cures poor shot placement. Remember in Bowhunting things aren't always as they appear.
Best line of the day Dan!!! Well said!!

OHbowhntr 01-27-2009 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Best line of the day Dan!!! Well said!!
And another....

If you are thinking about RAGES, you also need to make sure you have plenty of energy to punch 'em through. Lots of guys out there shooting and wounding/losing deer because they were shooting a BH that needed a LOT of energy out of a LOW energy bow.

I'm perfectly happy with my Slick Trick Mag's, don't see me changing anytime soon.

njbuck22 01-28-2009 04:36 AM

I have always shot NAP Spitfires and i cant say enough good about them. 90% of the deer i have shot with them have fallen in sight. Anyhow, i fell for alittle bit of the hype about the 2 blade rages and picked up a pack. I shot my last doe of the season with them and she ended up just like the buck, other doe and fox that i shot with the Spitfires, dead as a door nail. If your confident in your heads now, shoot them. I think im going to stay with the Spitfires, they havent let me down yet.

TGRIZWALD 01-28-2009 05:10 AM

i shoot grim reapers and slick tricks. i will not even think of the rage heads to many bad stories about losing deer with them. all the guys were shooting 70 pd. so KE should not be a issue

BigDaddy12t 01-28-2009 05:46 AM

WOW! I am really surprised, I thought I would get alot of "good" feedback about the rages, but it sounds like more guys dont really care for them.

Rory/MO 01-28-2009 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

WOW! I am really surprised, I thought I would get alot of "good" feedback about the rages, but it sounds like more guys dont really care for them.
PM Jeff (GMMAT). I'm sure he can give you TONS of info on them.

MeanV2 01-28-2009 06:08 AM

There are good and bad about any product. Too many times you hear just one side on a forum. I am not Pro Mechanical, but I would easily rate the Rage in the top 3 to 4mechanicals on the market.Out ofthe right setup they will get the job done very nicely, but like everything they are not for everyone.

If you want to try a mechanical they are a solid choice.

Spitfire XP's, Grim Reapers, Rage, Synpers are all solid choices.;)

Dan

fingerz42 01-28-2009 06:56 AM

Bottom line is that alot of people love to hate this product. It's kind of like Mathews, they're both one of the top sellers of the product they make and people hate others who succeed so the best thing to do is complain about them.
Then you've got the other half who are old-school and just set in their ways. They could be 100% wrong in their decision and they would still pretend they were right.
If you're looking for new broadheads I defnitely would suggest checking out the rages, dont let the naysayers get you down. (These people probably have never tried them and just thrive on downgrading Rage) Look around, you'll find that alot.

deer_predator 01-28-2009 07:52 AM

I shot the Spitfires for years (from 1999-2007) and I have only lost one deer (I average 6-9 deer a year). I switched to Muzzy 3 blades in 2007 because I bought a groundblind with shoot-through screens. Well.....I know any well placed shot with any of the broadheads on the market will successfully bring down game..Butttttt...I lost 3 deer this last season (first season with Muzzy's)!!! I just feel that I need that little extra cutting diameter. If you are not confident in your archery setup I am convinced you will feel as if you are not putting forth the 100% you can.

With that said, I switched to the Rage 2 blade and the first doe I came across I harvested with a 45 yard shot. I believe I will stick with Rage until it does me wrong...

Just my .02

Capt. Mark Bennett 01-28-2009 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Good Blood Trails are more about shot placement than broadhead model. There are lots of quality heads out there.

I used Muzzy for years and never had a problem with Bad Bloodtrails. They are a good head and cause good damage just not as tough as the heads I prefer now;)

Dan
Most will agree with this. There is no quick fix for bad shot placement.

mohunter82 01-28-2009 10:41 AM

use em and love em. but there is no product that everyone will love 100% of the time.
try em out and if they arenot for you then thats ok. if you like em use em.

chrowski 01-28-2009 11:10 AM

My deer have always fell after an encounter with my arrows...it's just ever since the switch to the Rage 2-blade, they've all fallen in sight from my treestand.

Take that for what you may....great broadhead in my opinion, but I'm still thinking of switching away and back to fixed blades just for the fun of it.

ZachCL 01-28-2009 11:15 AM

Feeding myself to the wolves here,
I had great success with the rages this year. I used the 3 blade model and took 6 does with them. All were complete passthroughs, all deer were down quick with great blood trails and major damadge to the lungs and heart. I have to say though that all were completely broadside shots. One thing I really liked over the spitfires is that they will be completely open before the blades enter the body, I shot alot of deer with the spitfires too but I think I am a fan of rages now. I will use em for turkeys this year and probably keep some in my quiver for deer next year, but also gonna try out a few fixed heads as well, just because really.

louddrummer69 01-28-2009 01:46 PM

I lost a doe this year with the Rage 2 blade. I think it was more my shot placement. I shot her maybe just a shade too forward and the arrow didn't pass through. I had a great blood trail and she bedded down about 100 yards away and I accidentally bumped her. She traveled on another neighbors land and I didn't have access to it. I know she had to have perished with all the blood but no recovery. Like previously said if you have great shot placement then have at it.

Vito1 01-28-2009 02:20 PM

That's because the ones that don't like them, even if they have no experience with them, really seem to dislike them. The ones that do use them successfully get tired of having to defend them.[:@]

I have killed 4 deer with them, all complete passthroughs. 3 died under 75 yards with massive bloodtrails. The other I hit a little far back. It is not uncommon for a hit like that get plugged with guts, but the hole was too big and the blood trail was easy to follow. Recovered her the next day after she had bedded twice and couldn't stop the bleeding.

There are a lot of good broadheads out there and they all kill deer. I'm sure you know that. Anytime a product gets used as much as the Rage and it's talked about as much as the Rage, you will hear horror stories. Just remember, some of those horror stories aren't the broadheads fault.;)

Ed McDonald 01-28-2009 04:38 PM

The Rage 2 is an excellent expandable . I switched to them when I found out the TekanII was illegal in NY . As a matter of fact , the Rage 3 blade is illegal in New York State as it is also considered a barbed broadhead . Took a 6 pt at about 35 yards this past season . Complete pass through ..........

brotherbdc 01-28-2009 05:43 PM

love em or hate em...no one says o there ok....lol

Ive been using em 2 seasons, 12 animals (deer, hogs,1 bobcat and 1 turkey) all compleate pass through, plenty of blood, busted shield on a hog....NONE of these animals went more than 20 yards. Guess what Im sold!!!!!

niehenke 01-28-2009 07:24 PM

I shoot the rage 2 blade and love it, but mean v and others make great points. Speaking of points, to get a good blood trail anddrop a deer within site, put a field point on and start shooting now. If you hit the shoulder, hit high in the cavity, or miss the vitals, admit the mistake, practice, and your problem is solved. Too often we can't admit that we make mistakes. I can tell you that I have made several and with each mistake, I become a better archer. I made 2 this season, I took a buck that was not a shooter and I took a shot through light cover thinking that I would not get deflection. The good news is that the second was a clean miss and the first was a direct hit with the deer falling within 20 steps from where he was hit. Never shoot through any cover and think past my shot. Only next season will tell me if I have grown. 07 mistake was poor shot placement but got the deer. Got a new bow and practiced a ton. Fixed the problem for 08. Another mistake was to calm down on a turkey. Got the bird but was not happy with the first shot placement. Not sure how to correct this one yet. I feel the same as I did when I was 12.

OHbowhntr 01-28-2009 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: brotherbdc

Ive been using em 2 seasons, 12 animals (deer, hogs,1 bobcat and 1 turkey) all compleate pass through, plenty of blood, busted shield on a hog....NONE of these animals went more than 20 yards. Guess what Im sold!!!!!
:eek: That's a LOT of spine shots!!! 12 animals and nothing went more than 20yds??? I've had one animal go 18yds, that's my shortest trail. I've heart punched several, cut the aorta completely off of the top of the heart, destroyed both lungs many times, and EVERY animal has gone well over 20yds!!! I find this UNBELIEVABLE!!! (in the "difficult to believe" manner, not the "really impressed" manner.)

WV Hunter 01-29-2009 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
Agree 100%.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. IMO, you ultimately have a better overall chance of success with a quality fixed blade head vs. a mechanical. Much less chance of anything going wrong. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Big Stubby 01-29-2009 08:10 AM

Slick Tricks make big holes and good blood trails. Easy tracking since I have not had deer go more than 75 yds before he dropped. Rage get the job done too, but the thing I hear about them is that after 1 kill you have to replace the blades. And for $40 bucks for 3 I will stick with my slick tricks for alot less money, Plus they fly like fieldpoints in a properly tuned bow.

brotherbdc 01-29-2009 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: brotherbdc

:eek: That's a LOT of spine shots!!! 12 animals and nothing went more than 20yds??? I've had one animal go 18yds, that's my shortest trail. I've heart punched several, cut the aorta completely off of the top of the heart, destroyed both lungs many times, and EVERY animal has gone well over 20yds!!! I find this UNBELIEVABLE!!! (in the "difficult to believe" manner, not the "really impressed" manner.)
Well frankly It dont matter wether you beleive it or not. Thats the way its gone down for me.

peakrut 01-29-2009 12:25 PM

I am a fan of the Rage 2 head and when I was at the ATA show it seems they fixed the issue of the blades not staying locked in.
I was shaking the arrow pretty good and they did not come out. This past season it seemed to be a big pain in my butt and
had to use a dentists rubberband. I did hear after the fact that one opened up on Randy Ulmer during competition.

Now also this year I am going to be trying out the Trophy Ridge meatseeker (Formally undertaker) 2 blade that has a
2" cutting diameter. When closed this baby is just like bullet practice tip and should fly pretty dang good. I will let you all
know how it does. Just to add that puppy was sharp out of the package.

T

Vito1 01-29-2009 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Big Stubby

Rage get the job done too, but the thing I hear about them is that after 1 kill you have to replace the blades.
Besides the 4 deer I have killed with them, I have witnessed 9 other killed with a Rage 2 blade. The broadheads showed no damage and none of them required the blades to be replaced, only sharpened. I'm not saying the broadheads don't suffer damage sometimes, but I believe it is not the norm to have to replace them.

I also didn't have any problems keeping them closed and I didn't use any extra rubber bands. Maybe myself and friends who use them got lucky and bought Rage heads that aren't experiencing any problems. I'm not a fan boy, just enjoy trying different things. I may try the slick tricks next season too.

niehenke 01-30-2009 07:00 PM

The reason why the blades open is because you are pushing them down into your quiver too hard. You would have the same problem with the ones above. Keep a nice tight oring in good condition and don't force down into your quiver and you won't have a problem. As for the blades, don't shoot them into rocks and you won't have to sharpen them. I have muzzy BHs that are bent and dull, not because of BH but because I shot at some small game and the force pushed them deep into the soil. I'll stop now because I am sounding like i am trying the sell the product, but in reality, I am amazed with such a simple and awesome design. Good luck and hope that you never have any issues with any BHs.

crenth 01-30-2009 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

ORIGINAL: sgriffn

Everytime i see that video it cracks me up. When i start hunting steel drums, ill start using the grim reaper:D;)
That's what I thought when I saw that video too. I have had great success with my Rage 3-blades.

tky1187 01-31-2009 12:59 AM

I switched to the Rage 2 bladers this past season from muzzys and theres no way I would go back. I killed 4 deer with them, 3 with the same head and 1 with another. I did ruin the head I only shot the one deer with because I shot through her but I didn't shoot through the rocks on the other side.

StrutNtom 01-31-2009 01:59 AM

I went 3 for 3 this year with the Rage 2 blade. Only one of the three didn't fall within 50yds. The one that didn't was because of a bad shot resulting from the deer being down hill and deciding to take a step just as I released the arrow so it hit high and too far back. However, I hit the artery and blood gushed 4ft up in the trees as the deer ran off. He bled completely out. The only thing I can compare the blood trails to is taking an oil plug out of a car andthen driving it.It's a steady flow of blood, not a drop here and there. Here are a few pics.

Doe

buck 1

buck 2

mossbergman11/OH 01-31-2009 07:02 AM

i was considering rages but then i thought: "i havent even gotten a bow deer yet and my broadheads seem to be fine, so do i really need to spend 30 bucks on rages?" my opinion is if your old heads work fine, keep with them. mechanicals just are too unreliable IMO;)