Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade >

Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

Feeding myself to the wolves here,
I had great success with the rages this year. I used the 3 blade model and took 6 does with them. All were complete passthroughs, all deer were down quick with great blood trails and major damadge to the lungs and heart. I have to say though that all were completely broadside shots. One thing I really liked over the spitfires is that they will be completely open before the blades enter the body, I shot alot of deer with the spitfires too but I think I am a fan of rages now. I will use em for turkeys this year and probably keep some in my quiver for deer next year, but also gonna try out a few fixed heads as well, just because really.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I lost a doe this year with the Rage 2 blade. I think it was more my shot placement. I shot her maybe just a shade too forward and the arrow didn't pass through. I had a great blood trail and she bedded down about 100 yards away and I accidentally bumped her. She traveled on another neighbors land and I didn't have access to it. I know she had to have perished with all the blood but no recovery. Like previously said if you have great shot placement then have at it.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

WOW! I am really surprised, I thought I would get alot of "good" feedback about the rages, but it sounds like more guys dont really care for them.
That's because the ones that don't like them, even if they have no experience with them, really seem to dislike them. The ones that do use them successfully get tired of having to defend them.[:@]

I have killed 4 deer with them, all complete passthroughs. 3 died under 75 yards with massive bloodtrails. The other I hit a little far back. It is not uncommon for a hit like that get plugged with guts, but the hole was too big and the blood trail was easy to follow. Recovered her the next day after she had bedded twice and couldn't stop the bleeding.

There are a lot of good broadheads out there and they all kill deer. I'm sure you know that. Anytime a product gets used as much as the Rage and it's talked about as much as the Rage, you will hear horror stories. Just remember, some of those horror stories aren't the broadheads fault.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

The Rage 2 is an excellent expandable . I switched to them when I found out the TekanII was illegal in NY . As a matter of fact , the Rage 3 blade is illegal in New York State as it is also considered a barbed broadhead . Took a 6 pt at about 35 yards this past season . Complete pass through ..........
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

love em or hate em...no one says o there ok....lol

Ive been using em 2 seasons, 12 animals (deer, hogs,1 bobcat and 1 turkey) all compleate pass through, plenty of blood, busted shield on a hog....NONE of these animals went more than 20 yards. Guess what Im sold!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the rage 2 blade and love it, but mean v and others make great points. Speaking of points, to get a good blood trail anddrop a deer within site, put a field point on and start shooting now. If you hit the shoulder, hit high in the cavity, or miss the vitals, admit the mistake, practice, and your problem is solved. Too often we can't admit that we make mistakes. I can tell you that I have made several and with each mistake, I become a better archer. I made 2 this season, I took a buck that was not a shooter and I took a shot through light cover thinking that I would not get deflection. The good news is that the second was a clean miss and the first was a direct hit with the deer falling within 20 steps from where he was hit. Never shoot through any cover and think past my shot. Only next season will tell me if I have grown. 07 mistake was poor shot placement but got the deer. Got a new bow and practiced a ton. Fixed the problem for 08. Another mistake was to calm down on a turkey. Got the bird but was not happy with the first shot placement. Not sure how to correct this one yet. I feel the same as I did when I was 12.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brotherbdc

Ive been using em 2 seasons, 12 animals (deer, hogs,1 bobcat and 1 turkey) all compleate pass through, plenty of blood, busted shield on a hog....NONE of these animals went more than 20 yards. Guess what Im sold!!!!!
That's a LOT of spine shots!!! 12 animals and nothing went more than 20yds??? I've had one animal go 18yds, that's my shortest trail. I've heart punched several, cut the aorta completely off of the top of the heart, destroyed both lungs many times, and EVERY animal has gone well over 20yds!!! I find this UNBELIEVABLE!!! (in the "difficult to believe" manner, not the "really impressed" manner.)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Good Blood Trails are more about shot placement than broadhead model. There are lots of quality heads out there.

I used Muzzy for years and never had a problem with Bad Bloodtrails. They are a good head and cause good damage just not as tough as the heads I prefer now

There is no Broadhead that cures poor shot placement. Remember in Bowhunting things aren't always as they appear.

Dan
Agree 100%.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. IMO, you ultimately have a better overall chance of success with a quality fixed blade head vs. a mechanical. Much less chance of anything going wrong. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

Slick Tricks make big holes and good blood trails. Easy tracking since I have not had deer go more than 75 yds before he dropped. Rage get the job done too, but the thing I hear about them is that after 1 kill you have to replace the blades. And for $40 bucks for 3 I will stick with my slick tricks for alot less money, Plus they fly like fieldpoints in a properly tuned bow.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: brotherbdc

That's a LOT of spine shots!!! 12 animals and nothing went more than 20yds??? I've had one animal go 18yds, that's my shortest trail. I've heart punched several, cut the aorta completely off of the top of the heart, destroyed both lungs many times, and EVERY animal has gone well over 20yds!!! I find this UNBELIEVABLE!!! (in the "difficult to believe" manner, not the "really impressed" manner.)
Well frankly It dont matter wether you beleive it or not. Thats the way its gone down for me.

Quick Reply: Thinking aboout switching to the RAGE 2 Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.