HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you use a Rangefinder? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/284385-do-you-use-rangefinder.html)

ozfest5 01-27-2009 10:30 AM

Do you use a Rangefinder?

I am new to bowhunting, just wondering if it is a necessity? Also, any suggestions for a cheap/good rangefinder I could get?

Thanks

MeanV2 01-27-2009 11:05 AM

RE: Do you use a Rangefinder?

My rangefinder is as much a part of my gear as my Bow & Arrows.;)

Dan

MOhunter46 01-27-2009 11:07 AM

Yes

Ben / PA 01-27-2009 11:13 AM

Absolutely. It's not a substitute for good practice, but it is one more variable to cut down. When possible, I range directly before I draw.

kickin_buck 01-27-2009 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

My rangefinder is as much a part of my gear as my Bow & Arrows.;)

Dan
X2....I would almost as soon go into the woods without my release as I would without my rangefinder. Check the on-line stores, this time of year you can find some pretty good deals onequipment since it "out-of-season". I know Bass Pro and Cabelas has a bargin area on their sites, sportsmanguide normally has some decent deals. Just start looking around on, I am sure you will find something. Also, check theclassified area here, someone might be looking tosell one and upgrade.

good luck!

MGH_PA 01-27-2009 11:17 AM

I would say it's a very nice tool to add to the arsenal. I never owned one until this season. Glad I did. You will find two schools of hunters with how they use theirs. Some opt to range directly before shooting, others range specific landmarks once in the stand to use as references. Either way, it's a nice additional piece of equipment to have, but like Ben said, it's no substitute for practice.

Mottz 01-27-2009 11:19 AM

I never use mine while I'm hunting. I'm always getting ready to draw and focusing on slight movements. I don't need that added movement. What I do well before my hunt, alot of times when I set up my stands, is use it to pick out spots such as trees, bushes, rocks. Then I range them and mark them with colored duct tape or something. Each color representing different yardage. Do that totally around my stand and I'm set to look at the deer, then the tape and can go from there.

Deleted User 01-27-2009 11:24 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Doefever 01-27-2009 11:41 AM

I have an old calibrating one which I hardly ever use. It would be nice to have one but for me it's not a necessity. I don't shoot past 25 yards and I'm very good at estimating out to there, so having one isn't really a necessity for me.

Doefever 01-27-2009 11:46 AM

Let me add...Everytime I take a walk I try to estimate how far something like a tree or a street sign is. I'm always within a yard or maybe 2 yards from my estimate.