Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you use a Rangefinder? >

Do you use a Rangefinder?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you use a Rangefinder?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you use a Rangefinder?

I think it all depends on where you hunt, what you hunt, and your ability to accurately judge distances (some people suck at this endeavor). Moreover, I think a lot depends on the type of equipment you use, and your effective killingrange with that equipment.Obviously, not every place is going to be ladened with trees, rocks, etc which are good indicators of relative distance. If you hunt a multitude of game species, for example,your mind can play tricks on your eyes. I over shot three mt. reedbucks because they appeared to be similar in size andappearance to a mule deer. Portionally, theyare smaller. There was very little between myself and the reedbuck to assess an accurate distance. I let my mind and my eyes make the wrong decisions on three animals under thirty yards.

I find my range finder to be a valuable piece of equipment in my arsenal. I try not to rely on it.I am by no means an expert in the art of judging distance; itis nice to have when there's doubt. I would rather use it confidently to make a shot than to not use it and make a poor shot. It takes two seconds to confirm what you already knew, right?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only when I don't forget it[:@]. My rangefinder spends more time in my golf bag that my hunting pack.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use mine to confirm different distances from my tree so i am prepared when the deer walks in i already know the distance
Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

I have one and use it a ton, I always range landmarks around a stand and keep tabs on those when an animal comes into range. I also had the opportunity to use it 3 times out of 6 this time on deer I shot, I had the time, the deer were calm so I thought what the heck. I use it alot when I am practicing, set my target somewhere out in the woods, walk around it and try guessing my yardages, then use my rangefinder to see how close I was, I can honestly say it has helped me with my distance judging.

Is it a neccesity, no. I bowhunted 3 seasons with out one and took 3 bucks and 2 does. but now that I have one I am glad I do.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Do not currently own one, but it is something I have thought about buying. Might add one before next fall, well see.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Nope and I doubt I ever will. Just not my thing. Part of the fun of bowhunting to me is accurately gauging distance and shot placement using quick instincts.
[/blockquote]
Back when I shot compound Brett rangefinders weren't my thing either. To me, rangefinders take too much out of the hunt. Figuring out the yardage to me Is part of the hunt, It's using ones Instincts like you said. Each to there own though.

The same thing here. I have never used one before so I do not see the requirement to have one today either. Although I may want to get one sometime in the future, it still is not a necessity...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use one, but I dont use it at the time I see a deer. What I do, is right after I get in my stand,I range some bushes and trees, just to get some vantage points, that way, I know when a deer gets to a certain bush or tree, I kow how far away he is.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM

They are a good thing to have. what i always do it take it out when you set up your stand and then use it to mark landmarks for yardage that way you will not have to make the extra movment when the big freak nasty is walking up!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't own one. Might within the next 749 years, who knows.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is too much variation during the heat of the moment...the range finder allows me to cut hairs and increase my success.

I use a Nikon prostaff 440....and if you asked me if you needed a drop compensation range finder...I'd say no way...just my opinion

Quick Reply: Do you use a Rangefinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.