Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you use a Rangefinder? >

Do you use a Rangefinder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you use a Rangefinder?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you use a Rangefinder?

If I had one I would though...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think any ethical hunter would invest in a rangefinder. I dont care how good one thinks he is at range estimation- with a bow- use a rangefinder or mark trees/object at different ranges around your stand !
Some of you really crack me up!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think any ethical hunter would invest in a rangefinder.
Thats like saying a traditional equipment shooter should switch to a compound. I don't own one though I've thought about it. But realisticly my shots are almost all under 20 yards and the farthest I've taken a deer is 37 yds. Personally, I've shot enough 3D and practice at various yardages then walk it off to hone judging yardage I don't feel it necessary for my use. So that makes me not ethical?

If I hunted elk and muleys more than likely I would probably own one.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on the type of hunting you do and whether or not you choose to shoot at far distances, a rangefinder can be as useless as .... on a boar, or it can be an absolutely vital piece of gear.

For me, just about useless.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM

I use mine one time per stand sight each year, to range trees and establish a ring of perimeters so to speak.

Then I take it stalking, turkey hunting, etc. I always have it with me though.

It isn't even neccessary for stalking if one watches how he approaches something. Once you get in line with what you are using for cover, range the animal, then range where you plan to shoot from, as long as the three things (you, shooting place, animal) are relatively in a straight line, just subtract the difference. For instance, if you are (drawing off personal reference here) stalking an antelope in an alfalfa field. You get to a bale and reaccess the situation with binos once 300 yards out. You range the animal at say 298, and the bale between you and him is at 279. This means, if you can get to the bale, you will have a 19 yard shot. If you must stop 20 yards shy of the bale, you have a 39 yard shot.

Probably different than most with that technique above, but I can't see myself fooling with a rangefinder when it is crunchtime to shoot if at all preventable.

Gotta agree with Schultz, somethings make you crack up. Ethical hunters wouldnt use recurves, mech heads, shoot past 15 yards, etc...the list goes on, now to be ethical...you must use a rangefinder.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

My rangefinder is as much a part of my gear as my Bow & Arrows.

Dan
Exactly!
Why compromise a miss-judged distance with the chance of wounding or missing your target!
You know Murphy will bite you in the ass when the monster buck is in front of you...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes I do. I have for probably 20 years. I try not to hunt the same tree twice. I'm usually in a climber. Even if I have a hang on somewhere it's usually for guest or the occasional "Hurry to the woods for the last bit of light hunt". I fiind myself hunting at heights from 12 feet to 25 feet. Each tree and terrain demands it's own set up.. Hunting at such varied heights can really screw up your range estimation. I practice all the time looking at something and saying "23 or 28 or 36 yards" I then walk it off or measure with a range finder. A little bit of error at the longer distances is a killer when you're only shooting about 260 fps. When I settle in a tree I pick out trees, stumps or whatever and guess the distance, then I range them. I've never ranged a critter with my rangefinder. When I'm in the hunt or the moment I don't take time for that. I'll shoot out to 40 yards without thinking about it if that's all I'm going to get. So it's really nice to know the distance or have a reference point of another spot to go off.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope and I doubt I ever will. Just not my thing. Part of the fun of bowhunting to me is accurately gauging distance and shot placement using quick instincts.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Nope and I doubt I ever will. Just not my thing. Part of the fun of bowhunting to me is accurately gauging distance and shot placement using quick instincts.
Back when I shot compound Brett rangefinders weren't my thing either. To me, rangefinders take too much out of the hunt. Figuring out the yardage to me Is part of the hunt, It's using ones Instincts like you said. Each to there own though.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never bought a rangefinder. Never seen the need for one. If you can judge out to 40 yards or so there is no need. Forget how big the animal is figure range by other objects like trees etc.

Another thing that gets me is most guys are shooting maybe 2 pins total on compounds out to 40 yards. Here a 40 yard shot is very rare. So even if your off with the distance your going to be close if your bow is fairly new. So you have to be pretty bad at judging distance to need a range finder in the woods.

That being said I have no problem with them. Its just one more complication to the hunt for me. But if you like them and it makes you more confedent in a hunting situation to use one...go for it.

I just don't feel it is anywhere close to a necessity.

Quick Reply: Do you use a Rangefinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.