HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How long can I wait before field dressing deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/284280-how-long-can-i-wait-before-field-dressing-deer.html)

ozfest5 01-26-2009 03:21 PM

How long can I wait before field dressing deer?

I shot a deer today with a bow right before sunset. I tracked it for about an hour and a half. It had a pretty good blood trail, up until one point where I couldnt find any more. I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to go find it. It is going to be below 32 degrees all night, so will it still be good tomorrow? How long can I wait?

Thanks

Ben / PA 01-26-2009 03:22 PM

RE: How long can I wait before field dressing deer?

Ya, tomorrow is no problem.;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-26-2009 03:23 PM

As cold as it is, you'll be fine into tomorrow. I have no issues of waiting til morning in much warmer weather without fear of meat spoilage. It's said to get the inners out as fast as possible and to cool the meat as fast as possible. In this cold, cold weather, you'll be fine.

rage2blade 01-26-2009 03:25 PM

Where did you hit her? she will be fine till tomorrow, but i wouldnt wait to long! What state you in

ZachCL 01-26-2009 04:09 PM

I would think that with the cool night temps, you should be fine as far as I know. Good luck on the tracking tomorrow.

OHbowhntr 01-26-2009 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

As cold as it is, you'll be fine into tomorrow. I have no issues of waiting til morning in much warmer weather without fear of meat spoilage. It's said to get the inners out as fast as possible and to cool the meat as fast as possible. In this cold, cold weather, you'll be fine.
+1, well put.

MeanV2 01-27-2009 05:02 AM

I always get the Guts out as quick as I can. In those types of temps you will have No worries field dressing the next morning. The meat will be fine.

Dan

SeraphHHC 01-27-2009 11:53 AM

just hope the coyotes dont find it first

Huntinman23 01-27-2009 12:12 PM

you will be fine into tomorrow morning...I shot a deer in 70 degree weather and waited 2 hours and there was nothing wrong with the meat...with below freezing temps, you will be completely fine

Rhody Hunter 01-27-2009 03:17 PM

you wil be fine over night. If it is below 40 you be fine for a recovery the next day