Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disability & Crossbows >

Disability & Crossbows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disability & Crossbows

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Disability & Crossbows

I'm all for crossbows if a person really can't pull the legal weight in there state, but I do believe some people get them when they really don't
need them. A guy I work with has had shoulder surgery and his doctor is giving him a permit or slip for a cross bow.My problem is he works right
along with the rest of us all day 12 hr shifts, granted we do not do alot of heavy lifting 50# max 4-10 times a shift but we do alot of repetative
movement.Ihave worked with him for about 2 yrs and would of never guessed he had surgery on his shoulder. Iknow he can pull 35# legal weight in
Wisconsin.I even offered to go to the shop with him a help get him set up. No I'm just gonna get a crossbow because I have a disability he told me
and by god he got one.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disability & Crossbows

I don't care if guys use crossbows, disabilites or not.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here in Illinois anyone 62 and over can get a crossbow permit now. I do think its a good idea if someone cannot pull enough weight on a compound or traditional and they are disabled in that way or older age, but as you said and depending upon the doctor there are some who gets a disability permit too easily. I know of one personally.

On another note I know of a guy who gets full disability from Illinois but is still able to bowhunt and uses a compound bow! I mean comon, how can a guy hang treestands, bowhunt, and drag a deer out yet is unable to work?[&:]
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are people who will take advantage of any situation. I have a crossbow permit but still shoot a compound instead. For me personally, the one I took with a crossbow the first fall after the surgery left a bad taste in my mouth. To me it was like shoot a scoped rifle with a silencer on it. If my shoulder ever got to the point where I can't pull it back anymore, I will probably just shotgun and muzzle load. But until that time comes, the crossbow hangs in the garage until I'm ready to shoot lil furry critters.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Crossbows are legal for everyone in my state. It gets a lot of folks in the woods that otherwise wouldn't put in the time and dedication with a compound or traditional bow. But, it is how I got my start in archery as a kid and I probably would have never started without using a X-bow first.

I have mixed feelings about them honestly.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

If a crossbow allows someone to enjoy hunting, and that is their weapon of choice, then I'm all for them as long as they are legal.

Dan
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

If a crossbow allows someone to enjoy hunting, and that is their weapon of choice, then I'm all for them as long as they are legal.

Dan
X2
Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with MeanV2 on this one. There is no substitution for time in the woods and if a crossbow allows someone to be in the woods who would not normally be there, who are we to judge and say its not right disability or not.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could care less if you have a disability or not. If its legal why should it matter to anyone?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I support them 100% to use durring the rifle season where they belong.

Quick Reply: Disability & Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.