Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow >

Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Hey guys, I as wondering if any of you ever shot jackrabbits with your bow, my setup is Bow Tech Edge 50lbs, Easton aluminum arrows, bludgeon points or G5 small game head. Will this work effectively, and what tips for hunting them will 10-20 yard shots be possible. Are their pelts any good? What about eating them?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Rabbits are excellent eating!! A rule I've always gone by here In Mn Is If the month has an R In It I can then eat them. There's something about wild rabbits that were suppose to eat them In the colder months around here. Something to do with there liver I think. As for your set up, that will be more then enough to do the job. As for tips on hunting them, just go out there and do It. There pelts aren't worth a whole lot.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can hit them your bow will kill them. They are a blast with a bow. I've chaced them with Trad equipment a bunch and they are fun. In fact I'm going in Feb to the Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt (GORH) All traditional guys chasing rabbit its a blast.

Steve if you were closer you'd love it.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

If you can hit them your bow will kill them. They are a blast with a bow. I've chaced them with Trad equipment a bunch and they are fun. In fact I'm going in Feb to the Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt (GORH) All traditional guys chasing rabbit its a blast.

Steve if you were closer you'd love it.
Is that being advertised over on Trad Gang right now? I saw that they had a few rabbit shoots all lined up. That sure would be a blast!!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM

With the pelts I was thinking about making some mukluks or a blanket are they any good for this. I will be eating and using all I can of the rabbit.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the pelts I was thinking about making some mukluks or a blanket are they any good for this
Possibly could be. If your going to do something with the fur make sure you do It when there In there prime which should be In the winter I'd think when there fur Is there thickest.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot rabbits with the bow before and it's okay. I wouldnt need to do it again. Even with a blunt tip it took a while for it to expire. I actually shot it twice and it still took five minutes to die. I didnt like it because i dont enjoy watching animals while they slowly die. Go out and try it for yourself, to each his own!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well for one thing you got to shoot them In the right place or there going to stay alive like any other animal If the shot placement Isn't right. If there still alive when you walk up to them just hit them over the head and there done.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The boy and I just got back from chasing rabbits with a whole bunch of Trad gangers, longbow and recurves, what a blast!!!!!!! Got to the Pow Wow at tradgang and check out the Wisconsin Bunny Romp thread! One of the most fun hunts I have been on in a long while!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot cottentails with a bow but never jackrabbits - I am pretty sure everyone else was refering to them too. From what I hear jacks are a bit tougher, not sure if blunts will quickly dispatch them, at least with body shots? Cottentails are easy to kill with a blunt.

Quick Reply: Jackrabbit Hunting With Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.