Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you get nervous??? >

Do you get nervous???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you get nervous???

Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you get nervous???

Not really... I would say excited for the moment of truth but very calm like a big cat!

I just kill the animal and then take a phone photo while in the field, and then piss (in a good way) all my friends off by sending it to them.
They have come to joke about every time they get a message from me "it must be another deer".

I guess the last handful of years I've been luckier than them!
I tell them lazy bastards to get out to scout more often and they too can be luckier.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well its interesting to hear that alot of people can keep it together!!

I guess like others have said it is from practicing alot, and getting everything down to a rhythm? We are too wooried about making everything go right(which has'nt happened for me too much lately) to take the time to get nervous!!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I have been nervous is when I took an Asain Water Buff.

He was only 10 yards away, if he had of winded me not only would the game be over but so would have my life.

It's amazing what a 2k lb wild animal can do to ones nerves
Old 01-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Im bonkers in the tree most of the time, until just before I shoot, all of a sudden I turn Ice cold and shoot , and then Im excited again, but focused on the deer after the shot, listening and watching..
Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get really nervous,shaking etc. I think I've even been busted because of it. I calm down a little as I draw back but I've actually drawn down cuz I couldn't get steady. In years past I've wounded deer because of it. I wish i could get it under control.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know why, or if this evenmakes any sense at all, but when it's real cold out I seem to get more on edge when a deer is approaching to within range. I can't explain it.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I am good until after the shot , then I tend to fall apart my one legstarts to shake out of control . I guess that is why I love it so much
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple have said they have never had the oppurtunity on a large buck so they dont know what nervous is. I thought the same thing until it happened. When ive seen/shot at the larger bucks the rack size really hasnt had an effect on me. It makes me more determined to get it right, but it is that drive that seems to make me do the right thing. Ive had a few in range oppurtunities on large bucks, and i have only made a bad decision on one. I had a 150-160" deer that we had been filming all summer before season and i rattled him in. He ran right in to me, and i drew and he stopped directly under me. He then looked up at me, and stomped his feet like he was gonna jolt so i shot. My limb hit the stand, and my arrow hit limbs under me. The result was luckily a cleanly missed deer, but a lesson learned. It seems to me like i will consciously make more passive decisions on bucks, b/c of the fear of wounding one. I know it sounds kind of biased to not care as much about does, but it is the truth. By no means am i out flinging arrows and wounding deer, so dont mistake me there... I just would rather have the monster buck walk away and live to fight another day than to make a poor shot on him. I guess thats kind of an ethics thing really.

Derek
Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Well yes I get nervous but I have not has near as many shooting opportunities as others I guess. First doe I shot I was ground hunting with my neighbor's xbow he let me borrow once I learned how to shoot it and such over the summer. Shot her at roughly 5 yards double lung perfect shot and the expendables he had on the arrows did some massive damage and she fell in the cut corn field. I was nervous but it was my second year hunting first time bowhunting but it seems I am able to control my nerves right at the shot. Second deer I shot with the bow was with my compound 2 years later. She came in from 100 yards away and came in right under my stand and stared at me which at that point I was more nervous than all get out because that was a first for me then she proceeded out to offer me a 15 yard shot and I calmed down while she was walking out. Released and i was solid as a rock no shaking. After the shot I start shaking really bad somehow I managed to not fall out of the stand then I saw her crash into the corn field and all noise stops I know she is down and I flip out not sure how I made it down from the stand with all the shaking. Well I haven't really had the chance the past two years. Usually I can calm down right at the shot but can't quit shaking right after the shot especially when I see them fall and the noise stops.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start to get nervous at first then I calm down, zone out and make the shot. After its all over, I snap back to reality and fall apart.[8D]

This is only on nice buck's, does and 120 (or less) classbuck's can walk around me all day and I fill nothing.

Quick Reply: Do you get nervous???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.