Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 80% to 65%, how much speed gained? >

80% to 65%, how much speed gained?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

80% to 65%, how much speed gained?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 80% to 65%, how much speed gained?

A lot of cams are optional of 80% letoff or 65% letoff. If you switched from 80 to 65, how much speed are you actually gaining?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 80% to 65%, how much speed gained?

With Binary cams they are faster set at 80% letoff than they are set at 65% letoff at least they were.

I haven't checked the newer ones in the last year or so

Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

With Binary cams they are faster set at 80% letoff than they are set at 65% letoff at least they were.

I haven't checked the newer ones in the last year or so

Dan
True in a lot of cases these days. Back when I was a rep for Pearson I compared modules on 9 different bows and the most speed gain I saw by going to 65% was about 4 fps.

As I see it themain advantage to shooting 65% mods is that if you are shooting lower draw weight then a higher holding weight can enhance the aiming of the bow, which potentially betters one's accuracy. Also makes the bow feel smoother on the draw cycle.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

BG, I agree it is definitely more about feel, and what you like than any or No speed gain involved.

I've come to like 80% letoff, but then again I think it's more familiarity than anything for most people.

I'm not going back to 30% letoff, that's for sure[8D]

Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really liked my old Bear bow and its low let-off---I felt more comfortable with my aiming and release. It made me feel more in sync with my bow. I am going to look for a bow with 65% let-off on my next purchase.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems you might as well use 80 then if it aint THAT much speed gain lol. Thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said before, speed is really not an issue. It's what kind of feel you prefer personally, and lot of that is what you are used to IMO.

Dan
Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Spike

I wondered the same thing. Whats the point of only haveing 65% let off if you can have 80%. I think it is a huge advantage to be able to hold your bow back comfortably. If you have to hold it while you wait for a deer you would be able to much longer without your arms getting tired and shaky. Which to me gives you a much higher chance of shooting a good shot. IMO.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG, I agree it is definitely more about feel, and what you like than any or No speed gain involved.

I've come to like 80% letoff, but then again I think it's more familiarity than anything for most people.

Dan
30%? You remember bows that had 30%? You must be a young pup. I started out with a model I Jennings back in 1974. Bows back then were usually about 18%-20% letoff. Bows didn't start getting into the 65% range till the late 80's and early 90's. You're probably aware of this. I do have to agree with you that I ain't going back that far either. Today's bows are fun, not that I shoot them as well as I did 30 years ago, but there are other reasons for that.

For Illusion Hunter, the difference in holding weight is not all that significant if you use the correct muscles (back) to hold at full draw. In some cases there is no difference at all, and I'll explain. Many people today prefer a solid wall (draw stop) to hold against at full draw. Essentially what they are doing is pulling hard into the stop and in doing so are increasing their holding weight. So whether a bow has 80% or not they are not holding right at the 80% letoff point. In some cases they use the draw stop to stop the cam from rolling into the bottom of the valley, thus increasing the holding weight and giving them a solid stop to pull against. In this case they may have an 80% cam that only lets off to 65% or whatever.

The reason is what I mentioned above. Increasing the holding weight, by whatever method, helps counteract the physical weight of the bow taking the weight off the arm and shoulder and transferring most of this work to the back muscles. The back muscles, being larger and stronger, can handle the load better and this helps solidify the aiming process.

If being able to hold forever was a major criteria for hunting then I feel fairly certain that Concept Archery, with it's 99% letoff bows, would be a major seller over all other companies. As it is, this isn't the case.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Dan
30%? You remember bows that had 30%? You must be a young pup. I started out with a model I Jennings back in 1974. Bows back then were usually about 18%-20% letoff. Bows didn't start getting into the 65% range till the late 80's and early 90's. You're probably aware of this. I do have to agree with you that I ain't going back that far either. Today's bows are fun, not that I shoot them as well as I did 30 years ago, but there are other reasons for that.

For Illusion Hunter, the difference in holding weight is not all that significant if you use the correct muscles (back) to hold at full draw. In some cases there is no difference at all, and I'll explain. Many people today prefer a solid wall (draw stop) to hold against at full draw. Essentially what they are doing is pulling hard into the stop and in doing so are increasing their holding weight. So whether a bow has 80% or not they are not holding right at the 80% letoff point. In some cases they use the draw stop to stop the cam from rolling into the bottom of the valley, thus increasing the holding weight and giving them a solid stop to pull against. In this case they may have an 80% cam that only lets off to 65% or whatever.

The reason is what I mentioned above. Increasing the holding weight, by whatever method, helps counteract the physical weight of the bow taking the weight off the arm and shoulder and transferring most of this work to the back muscles. The back muscles, being larger and stronger, can handle the load better and this helps solidify the aiming process.
If being able to hold forever was a major criteria for hunting then I feel fairly certain that Concept Archery, with it's 99% letoff bows, would be a major seller over all other companies. As it is, this isn't the case.

Thanks again for saving me some typing.

For those that don't quite understand this concept,just hold your bow up as if you were at full draw and notice how heavy the bow is and compare the feel of the physical weight when the bow is actually drawn.

Quick Reply: 80% to 65%, how much speed gained?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.