HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Speaking of Sheds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/283817-speaking-sheds.html)

AF Hunter 01-22-2009 05:33 PM

Speaking of Sheds

I've read a lot of threads on here about shed hunting already. When is the normal period for bucks to shed? I ask because I could have had two sets on sheds on the way home tonight, but unfortunately, they were still attached to the bucks running in front of my car.

mobow 01-22-2009 05:41 PM

RE: Speaking of Sheds

They generally start dropping in early January. By early February they're pretty much done, though I've seen bucks still carrying them in late February into early march.

AF Hunter 01-22-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

They generally start dropping in early January. By early February they're pretty much done, though I've seen bucks still carrying them in late February into early march.
When they're attached to your truck grill, they tend to shed later!:D (sorry[&o])

youngfart 01-22-2009 05:50 PM

Depends.

Depends on where your from, up here in Alberta Canada,they tend to fall off sometime between mid March and April. I was out scouting the other day and saw2 170 class bucks still sparring as it's the 3rd rut right now. Saw 17 does and 3 more bucks carring theirhead gear still last Saturday.
Rocky

buttonbuckmaster 01-22-2009 06:13 PM

I usually start looking around Feb 1 and find most of mine in early March. I've never found one before Valentines Day.

Mottz 01-22-2009 06:18 PM

I'll usually wait til March to start looking. Mainly when I go turkey hunting. But this year its been really cold and alot of people are saying they are dropping earlier this year than any other.

TEmbry 01-22-2009 08:12 PM

Last spring, or perhaps the one before, We saw a 6 pointer with BOTH sides still attached the second weekend of April. Not the norm, but they can drop anywhere from December-April. I think most drop in February around here, but could be wrong....as I don't shed hunt much. Just what I seem to notice by being in the woods.

NY/Al 01-23-2009 02:15 AM

As of 2 days ago my super spike has lost one side...[8D](Time and date are wrong) Its actually 1/21/09 at 8:14 PM

fletch920 01-23-2009 05:52 AM

Mark,

I saw several shed bucks already during late muzzleloader season. I have gotten 2 sheds while late season doe hunting. I usually hit it hard after mid February. Some will carry clear into March. Most of our deer will have shed by the beginning of March though. Good luck.

MeanV2 01-23-2009 06:16 AM

They can and do drop any where from early Jan. to early April.

I think the timing has a lot to do with how active a particular Buck was in the Rut breeding Does. More breeding and his testosterone drops quicker thus he will shed his antlers quicker.

I also think rougher weather can cause Bucks to drop earlier for the same reasons.

Like I said I've seen a few 1 1/2 year old bucks still carrying their little racks the 1st of April;)

Dan