Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head Shots...?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head Shots...?

I've never had a deer hold its head still long enough to even consider it with a gun.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you also Rob for the most part. Look at the size of the killing zone (vitals- lungs, liver, heart, guts) behind the shoulder on a deer. Compare that to the size of the killing zone on the head of a deer. Huge difference! At least If a hunter misses the lungs on a deer (shoots to far back) he's got the liver and the guts that will take this deer down and kill It. You miss on a head shot, you've got a deer running around with his lower jaw dangling around. Odds favor the lung shot with more room for error.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

NO!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not going to name names because I don't do that but it was there trust me.. Walt
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

The only headshot that I have gotten was when I first started hunting and failed to account for a down hill shot on a doe lying on the ground. I put it on her chest and magically her head disappeared... Amazing what a .50 will do at 50 yards to a deer skull, made nice for cleaning and a good cape, but I dont think I would ever purposefully shoot at ones head.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why is it OK to head shoot a squirrel with a 22 but not a deer?
Just a little devil's advocate.

I'm obviously not going to take any bow head shots.
With a gun, I'm not going to say never as there are a few cases where I know taking a head shot would be done with just as much confidence as any other shot. HOWEVER, I really don't see me taking a head shot on a deer even if presented with a "best case scenario" that would allow it. I've seen a starving deer from a head shot gone arwy and don't see the need for me to put myself in a place to cause that situation.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, how much meat do you waste if you shoot a deer broadside thru the rib cage? Not much IMHO.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Seriously, how much meat do you waste if you shoot a deer broadside thru the rib cage? Not much IMHO.
Same thing I wondered![8D]

Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

You obviously don't hunt with high velocity rifles. I've seen Ballistic Tips bloodshot the entire chest including most of both shoulders.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't do it, but alot of guys around here aim forthe ear hole, of course they're poaching with a .22 mag but that's another story ...

Quick Reply: Head Shots...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.