Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head Shots...?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Head Shots...?

Imight take a head shot on a deer with my rifle, as long as it was within 25 yards. Most likely I'd still aim for the lungs/heart, but I'm not gonna lie and say that I wouldn't shoot one in the head. With a bow there's no way I'm doing it.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

No i wouldn't, dosent matter what the weapon is.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a bow NEVER.With a gun yes.If the situation came to be that way. I shot 1 this year that someone else wounded and the only shot I had was the head. She went down hard. Head shot with a gun is not high percentage shot but it is leathal if you connect.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Spike

Never with a bow or a firearm. I like neck shots and if I have to finish off a deer.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Not with a bow but it's a perfectly acceptable shot with a rifle given the right circumstances. And for those that ask why? So you can control exactly where the animal is going to drop. Mountainous terrain with heavy brush and big hungry critters make you want to keep tracking jobs to a minimum. Then there's the lack of meat damage too.

That being said, I'll personally never do it for two reasons: I don't hunt with a rifle (except for one case this year) and I trophy hunt and headshots aren't the best for trophy preservation.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

This season my buddy's dad sat in the "meat stand" and shot a broken spike in the head at about 75 yds. He was in heavy cover in thick hardwoods and it never gave him a shotanywhere else. The 300 Win Mag put a hurting on him and not a bit of meat was disturbed.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't take shots like that with a bow or a gun . I'll wait for a better shot
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sportsman22

Some idiot was bragging at the bar how he was out gun hunting and shot a doe in the head.

I interupt his story and basically telling him he's an idiot taking an unethical shot.

He argues he was saving meat.

Gun or bow, do you think head shots are appropriate?
Brad,
With an accurate gun, it's a slam dunk shot if the shooter is good. I've done it many times over, and it's a VERY QUICK and humane kill. All but one of those shots were using scoped rifles and muzzleloaders (75-150yds), the other shot was with a very accurate slug gun (40yds). In one instance, I took the brain to such an extent that I left the stem intact, and the heart was still fibrillating when I opened the deer. Call it morbid or whatever, but it IS a very effective shot when taken "appropriately."

I accidentally hit one in the head with an arrow this year, she moved a LOT in the less than .4 seconds it should have taken that arrow to get there, but the arrow sank to the Blazers that were on it, and rendered her DEAD almost instantly. I did put a finisher on her to stop the breathing and help bleed her out a bit, but it was also a very effective, though incidental shot.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

that's how i killed my buck this year(30.06). not on purpose though. deer was on a full out sprint, i lead him a little bit and fired. dropped about five feet from where i shot him. he was dead within (i'd say) 30-60 seconds. entry hole was his left ear, and the exit was his right jaw joint area.i am by no means bragging about it. i was pretty pissed (about placement)when i walked up to him. i have a pic of it, but wont post it unless it is requested.

can someone delete my double post...slow connection tonight for some reason.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

that's how i killed my buck this year(30.06). not on purpose though. deer was on a full out sprint, i lead him a little bit and fired. dropped about five feet from where i shot him. he was dead within (i'd say) 30-60 seconds.

Quick Reply: Head Shots...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.