Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting bucks

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting bucks

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

Wouldn't shoot, now if he still had one side I'd have to think about that one awhile.
Please explain wallhangr.

Shultzy, my answer is no. He gets a free pass. By not shooting I still feel that I won. I got the buck in shootingrange. What good is the buck I'm hunting without antlers? You guys can say all you want, but when we are buck hunting we are antler hunting. A 3 1/2 yr. old buck with no antlers does nothing for me. A 3 1/2 yr. old doe is another story though.
I agree 200% I've killed a Bull Elk that was aged at over 10 years old, but I could have cared less. the 300 plus rack was what got him shot.

Same with a Bear I shot that was aged at over 28 years old. if it had Not been for the size of the Melon he was waggin' around he would have been passed too.

If I am shooting at a Buck I'm lookin' at rack size and not trying to see if he is 4.5 or 5.5 or ?? years old.

If I am shooting a Doe for meat I try to shoot a younger Doe (not a fawn) Some of them Ol Nannys would probably be like shoe leather

Dan
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't shoot, now if he still had one side I'd have to think about that one awhile.

Shultzy, my answer is no. He gets a free pass. By not shooting I still feel that I won. I got the buck in shootingrange. What good is the buck I'm hunting without antlers? You guys can say all you want, but when we are buck hunting we are antler hunting. A 3 1/2 yr. old buck with no antlers does nothing for me. A 3 1/2 yr. old doe is another story though.
Is the bolded out part quoted to me?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Not at all! Quoted to all of us in general. I find it hard for someone to say that when they are buck hunting their not antler hunting. Maybe I'm way off base to think that. I was in no way taking a shot at you Shultzy.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Stupid bucks do the gene pool no favors, I'd put him in the freezer.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Not at all! Quoted to all of us in general. I find it hard for someone to say that when they are buck hunting their not antler hunting. Maybe I'm way off base to think that. I was in no way taking a shot at you Shultzy.
Just checking because I'm one of those guys who does like Inches, the age card don't mean as much with me and I have no problems admitting that. Although If I had a P&Y 2.5 year old in front of me he'd get the pass. Chances of seeing a P&Y 2.5 where I hunt aren't to likely though. The quote below Is quoted from the start of my thread on what I'd do If I was In the same scenario.
If this same scenario would happen with me he would of gotten a pass as well.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Stupid bucks do the gene pool no favors, I'd put him in the freezer.
Now that made me laugh!

ORIGINAL: Txjourneyman
If my freezer was empty I would shoot. If my freezer was low I would shoot. If I had 2 deer in the freezer I would think about it and then shoot.
I CAN shoot does in the late season, and I still share that point of view, Greg.

I find it hard for someone to say that when they are buck hunting their not antler hunting.
Interesting. Stopping for a moment and thinking back, I have never in my life gotten up and went "buck hunting". I've always gone "deer hunting", even if the hunt was "bucks only". I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. I hunt deer. Antlers are just a bonus. I guess I'm just wired differently than most.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My reasoning is the same as Rybo's - I'd find that other side if it took me all winter/spring.But like I said, it wouldn't be an automatic reaction to shoot.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My reasoning is the same as Rybo's - I'd find that other side if it took me all winter/spring.But like I said, it wouldn't be an automatic reaction to shoot.
Thats taking a big chance on finding the other antler. Interesting you said that because that thought never crossed my mind. Quick thinking on your part! Thanks for the explaination.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait and shoot a small buck, or a doe. they would probably taste better, and the buck would be bigger next season.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Why Hick? Because they chose to shoot a legal deer?

Ok im saying that most people on this forum hunt for more reasons then just the meat. Besides every body is talking about passing on small bucks and button bucks, this is the same thing you are letting the younger bucks walk but shooting the older ones withno antlers????? You let the younger ones walk just for the anlters, because you know meat taste better from a 100 pound doe then it does from a 200 pound buck anyways. Virginashadow im not directing this towards you just people on this forum in general.

Quick Reply: Shooting bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.