Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting bucks

Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting bucks

ORIGINAL: jackflap

original:txjourneyman
I can't shoot does on my lease in the late season. They aren't legal after Nov 16th. If my freezer was empty I would shoot. If my freezer was low I would shoot. If I had 2 deer in the freezer I would think about it and then shoot.
I understand what you are saying, but if my freezer was empty or low, I would assume you would still have a buck tag. If that is the case, I definitely pass the 3.5yo and wait and try and shoot a 1.5yo buck instead.

original:OHbowhntr
What is that ridiculous rule for??? Trying not to kill fawns in the womb??? Sorry, I just thought that sounds like a very stupid rule. Especially if they are trying to manage a herd.
Thats not ridiculous at all. There are some areas in Texas, including the area where he is referring to, that does not have a population problem and in fact is below carrying capacity. This is TPWD way of managing the herd, but trying to make sure that doe herd reduction doesn't get overdone in this particular area.

Also it may have to do with the fact that in 4 years of bowhunting I have never killed a mature buck. My best is a 2 1/2 yo 7 point that was about 85". I have never considered myself a trophy hunter. I have always been a meat hunter. That 3 1/2 yo with no rack would provide a lot more meat than a 1 1/2 yo. Some day,(soon!), I will kill a large racked mature buck. My outlook may change at that point. I won't know until I get there.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
I would not shoot a fully shed buck. Let him be toting one side and I'll drill him and spend the rest of the winter getting exercise & looking for the other side.
I was contemplating this last night in my stand and I came up with the exact same answer.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

No way I would!

What would be the use? I'd shoot a Doe if I needed meat.

Dan
Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

This disappoints me that two people said thy would shoot it.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why Hick? Because they chose to shoot a legal deer?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, he would get a pass until next season.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

This pole really surprised me along with some of the answers. I hear allot of talk on here that If the buck Is mature he's getting an arrow regardless of how many Inches he has on his head. This pole and thread just goes to show that many more people on here are more about the rack then what they claim themselves to be.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy, I was thinking the same exact thing as you earlier. It is NOT about the age.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

would not even consider shooting it
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

Wouldn't shoot, now if he still had one side I'd have to think about that one awhile.
Please explain wallhangr.

Shultzy, my answer is no. He gets a free pass. By not shooting I still feel that I won. I got the buck in shootingrange. What good is the buck I'm hunting without antlers? You guys can say all you want, but when we are buck hunting we are antler hunting. A 3 1/2 yr. old buck with no antlers does nothing for me. A 3 1/2 yr. old doe is another story though.

Quick Reply: Shooting bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.