Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting bucks

Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting bucks

Whether I would shoot him or not would depend on other things but not the rack. If the "other things" were right and I was ready to take a deer when I saw him then I would shoot him.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nah. Then again, I could care less to hunt after the rut-and usually don't. They start smelling all rutted up and tasting nasty compared to earlier in the year and you have to be ten times as careful cleaning them up- too much hormonal/adrenal stuff flowin in the veins and arteries- even does. No thanks. I love the meat, but don't *need* it or rely on it- I generally keep some for me (as I'm the only one who eats it, and have little time to cook like I used to) and donate the rest.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I can't shoot does on my lease in the late season.
They aren't legal after Nov 16th. If my freezer was empty I would shoot. If my freezer was low I would shoot. If I had 2 deer in the freezer I would think about it and then shoot.
What is that ridiculous rule for??? Trying not to kill fawns in the womb??? Sorry, I just thought that sounds like a very stupid rule. Especially if they are trying to manage a herd. Unless you don't have very many does to begin with, it doesn't make much sense.

To the OP, not a chance. Part of the reason binoculars are ever so important in the late season. I have a buddy that shot a MONSTER of a doe with his MZL one year only to find it was a MONSTER of a buck that had recently shed his horns. [:'(]
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Already gave you my opinoin on the other site, but for those here...

We will assume that I already have what I consider to be "enough" freezer meat. In that case, no I would pass this buck and hope for a crack at him next season. However, if the freezer was low or empty, he would be in trouble for sure!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed up a big bodied buck in late season here in Idaho, Dec 20th fully shed....12-15 yards broadside, I drew on him just for fun.I'd do the same year in and year out.. if I am totally out of venison I'd kill a doe.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

deja vu.

I'm really not much of an antler hunter. The rack from my '07 buck is outside, laying on the deck of the boat. (at least, that's where I last saw it). The rack from my '08 buck is leaning on a metal rack out in the mudroom.

Having said that. No, I wouldn't shoot that buck. For me to happy with my kills, they have to fall into fairly tight parameters. Within 30 yards, good shot angles, no brush, blah blah, blah. If I'm after a buck, I'm after him with is rack at least mostly intact.

If he showed up in front of me sans antlers. I'd have to acknowledge that he once again had the upper hand in our encounters. Same if he had busted off a side or a bunch of tines. Wouldn't hurt me in the least to let him walk. I'd smile and look forward to next year that much more.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

deja vu.
LMAO!! Thanks for posting again Christine!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

original:txjourneyman
I can't shoot does on my lease in the late season. They aren't legal after Nov 16th. If my freezer was empty I would shoot. If my freezer was low I would shoot. If I had 2 deer in the freezer I would think about it and then shoot.
I understand what you are saying, but if my freezer was empty or low, I would assume you would still have a buck tag. If that is the case, I definitely pass the 3.5yo and wait and try and shoot a 1.5yo buck instead.

original:OHbowhntr
What is that ridiculous rule for??? Trying not to kill fawns in the womb??? Sorry, I just thought that sounds like a very stupid rule. Especially if they are trying to manage a herd.
Thats not ridiculous at all. There are some areas in Texas, including the area where he is referring to, that does not have a population problem and in fact is below carrying capacity. This is TPWD way of managing the herd, but trying to make sure that doe herd reduction doesn't get overdone in this particular area.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is very likely that by the time I encountered that situation I could not legally shoot the deer as it would be considered "antlerless" and most years I've used those tags up by the late season.

However for the sake of hte arguement, assuming I still had a buck adn "doe" tag, I would not shoot a fully shed buck. Let him be toting one side and I'll drill him and spend the rest of the winter getting exercise & looking for the other side.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I can't shoot does on my lease in the late season.
They aren't legal after Nov 16th. If my freezer was empty I would shoot. If my freezer was low I would shoot. If I had 2 deer in the freezer I would think about it and then shoot.
What is that ridiculous rule for??? Trying not to kill fawns in the womb??? Sorry, I just thought that sounds like a very stupid rule. Especially if they are trying to manage a herd. Unless you don't have very many does to begin with, it doesn't make much sense.

I agree. For an answer you would have to ask the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. They make up the seasons and bag limits. And to make it worse it varies from county to county.

Quick Reply: Shooting bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.