Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single most important... >

Single most important...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single most important...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Default RE: Single most important...

I cant realy give any advice for bowhunting cause ive never killed anything but just hunting in general be ready ive coulda killed many more animals if i wasready and not screwing around.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Help someone else, like somebody helped you once
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

Help someone else, like somebody helped you once
Excellent post!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pay attention to the wind. Also, don't let yourself become paternable to the deer your hunting. I learned this one the hard way one year. Took me a while to figure out the 170+" deer I was hunting that year was bedding right out in the open on the edge of a pond dam every afternoon watching me drive to the cabin where I parked to get to my stand. After walking past his bed that was still warm on several occasions the light bulb finally went off in my head. I couldn't approach from the other side and I'm sure he knew this because danger never approached from the west. It always came from the east.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 AM

Hunt the wind, don't go in if the wind is going to be in your favor for the hunt. Found that out the hard way early this season. New the wind was wrong, hunted any way and blew an encounter with a wide-racked 10 at 40 yds. Over the years I have also learned that saving your best spots for the perfect time; i.e. saving that hot spot for when the bucks are in the seeking stage, making their rounds between doe bedding areas in the pre-rut. And don't over hunt your honey holes. Have 5 or 6 honey holes and rotate keeping one fresh at all times. But nothing is more magical than the first time in!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

Hunt the wind, don't go in if the wind is going to be in your favor for the hunt. Found that out the hard way early this season. New the wind was wrong, hunted any way and blew an encounter with a wide-racked 10 at 40 yds. Over the years I have also learned that saving your best spots for the perfect time; i.e. saving that hot spot for when the bucks are in the seeking stage, making their rounds between doe bedding areas in the pre-rut. And don't over hunt your honey holes. Have 5 or 6 honey holes and rotate keeping one fresh at all times. But nothing is more magical than the first time in!
You most likely meant if the wind was NOT in your favor.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

When you're in the woods, enjoy it and be in the moment. Forget everything else you have going on in your life and just enjoy nature at its finest.

You can learn a lot of life lessons from the animals that surround you in the woods.
Couldn't have said it better. Exactly how I feel.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be one with your tree ~ MOTIONLESS!
Everyone knows this, but every time you swipe at a bug, get up to stretch,
or move your head too quickly, it allows the deer to pick up your big body mass in a tree from a distance.

Think about the times you've seen a Hawk/owl or something else in a tree, you probably noticed it because it moved, right?
Take it to the next thought...
Most likely you you noticed it because you were maybe 40 or 50 yards away from it and your field of vision picked it up.
We all know a deer's vision is better than ours and we all know deer will sometimes scan an area before stepping out in the open.
We have all had deer slip into our area undetected and we never knew they were there until there on top of us.

How many deer do you think have walked into your setup and saw a blob (I'm not calling anyone names here) in a tree?
The deer might have stood there for 10 or 20 minutes because something looked out of place, scanning,
and then you need to straighten your knee out because it was stiff.
The deer slowly walked away and you never knew it!
Of course this goes hand-in-hand with playing the wind, because they will probably scent you before seeing you...

Of course deer's 3rd sense is fooling their ears, but none of us make any noise, except to pass gas, so in this case try to be S.B.D.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Be one with your tree
Depending on what type of Tree you are in, that could mean Be a Nut![8D]

Dan
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Be one with your tree
Depending on what type of Tree you are in, that could mean Be a Nut![8D]

Dan
That goes without saying for me

Quick Reply: Single most important...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.