Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 North Dakota Archers??? >

North Dakota Archers???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North Dakota Archers???

Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default North Dakota Archers???

Hey guys, I am planning a trip to ND this fall for whitetail hunt. Obviously a nice buck would be preferred, but it will be a fun trip regardless. My question is this: When is going to be my "best" tiem to come out? I will be looking at an extended weekend and was thinking like the first week in october. i could maybe make another weekend if it is not productive, but what week would be a good start? When does the season start?
Thanks
Dandbuck
Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

Default RE: North Dakot Archers???

From MN but hunt ND regularly. Season opens the first of sept-and this will be some of your best hunting right there. As for later, it depends where you'll be hunting. Soy beans and corn draw tons of deer in early and they get pretty thick in the shelterbelts. Once the corn goes out agriculteral areas become hard to hunt and the deer move into river bottoms.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

North Dakota opens on August 29th and noon. In my opinion, this is THE best time to hunt up there. Not only will it not interfeer with other deer seasons, but the bucks will be on their summer patterns and using the waterholes. The big bucks will be very patternable and killable this time of year.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, early may be the best for work here. Then if it all does not "come together", I can make a trip later on to connect.
Dandbuck
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

As the title says, I'd like to know where North Dakot is?[8D]
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

North Dakota opens on August 29th and noon. In my opinion, this is THE best time to hunt up there. Not only will it not interfeer with other deer seasons, but the bucks will be on their summer patterns and using the waterholes. The big bucks will be very patternable and killable this time of year.

Good luck to you!
Right on!! I have a friend from North Dakota and he himself says hunt as close to the opener as you can. Chances of getting a buck In velvet are pretty good odds as well from what he told me too.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, this helps a bunch. Actually,earlier is better as far as work is concerned, and then i may be able toget back out there if i don't "get it done"! Was told the skeeeters are harsh early, so may need to try the thermocell huh? Also, for some reason I have no interest in a velvet buck, they just don't look right to me.
Dandbuck
Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Season is tentatively set to open Sept. 4 this year (http://gf.nd.gov/about/season-dates.html). Early is good, lots of good bucks are taken the first couple weeks. The skeeters are horrible, typically into mid to late September. I prefer late season hunts, December through the end of season. The deer are herded up and very predictable, but the weather is very unpredictable. It makes for some amazing hunts!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Ranger! I'm going to try and get out there this spring and do some scouting. Could probably hunt the 10-14th of September, need to be back for my Anniversaryon the 18th. If that does not work, I'll have to plan a mid october hunt, but that will depend on my work. All else fails, i can go back in december.
Thanks everyone!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

As the title says, I'd like to know where North Dakot is?[8D]
Thats funny.

But in all seriousness, North and South Dakota are among thetop whitetail states today. The "Pros" on TV seem to be catching on to this in recent years.

According to some numbers I saw recently...both staes are among the top six or so for odds of shooting a P&Y buck.

Dandbuck...Hunsucker is right about hunting it early. A friend of mine has killed P&Y bucks 3 out of the past4 years during the first week of the season. The bucks are VERY patternable at this time of the year.

Quick Reply: North Dakota Archers???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.