Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the biggest animal you ever missed? >

What's the biggest animal you ever missed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the biggest animal you ever missed?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's the biggest animal you ever missed?

i missed a decnt 140 class 12 pointer last year at about 15 yards ,i usually have my safety line with a little slack ,well this day i had it tight as hell lol i leaned into my harness and the line was to my right tight as hell just behind my shoulder i was all ready at full draw and the buck started moving to my right i dint even relize the line was there i was in full focus of the buck well when i turned more to the right the tip of my elbow hit the tight line cousing me to release the arrow to the unknown and even though the buck stoped again at like 40 yards to give me the finger ,i just was so mad that i couldnt pull myself together missed the buck and lost a cx aramid arrow with a lumenock and a g5 montch lounched like 35$ into nowhere lol.
im sure i wont forget that day for a while ,thanks for reminding me [:@]
Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

180 inch 12 pointer about 6 or 7 years ago. Saw him 2 more times that year driving on the road, but never again while hunting.

The following year my friend missed him again at 40 yards. Some other guys had seen him that year and judged him to be in the 190's. Saw him the next summer but never again.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mid 140 class buck for whitetails...and shot under one bull elk a nice5x5
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM

130-135 8pt. Ten years ago.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

2007 was my year of being served multiple pieces of humble pie! November 8th, I shot low on a 140 class6X6 at 40 yards. We jumped him an hour later and then backed out. The next day around noon, we picked upa very minimal blood trailand followed it for 300 yards only to jump him again and out of my life forever!

November 12th, 2007 I shot at a nice 130 class 8 point at 30 yards. We backed out that night and resumed the search after the following morning hunt was over. The night's rain made it tough to follow, but we did manage to find the arrow with minimal signs of penetration and a sparse blood trail for about 75 yards.

The 3rd and final blow of the year took place on November 17th 2007. After the morning hunt, I walked over to a old abandon barn that has overgrown brush all around it in hopes of maybe sneaking up on one like we've done before by accident. I managed to get up to barn quietly, and thentip toed trough it,and overto theback window. I peaked out the window andafter a quick glance around I almost overlooked the same 130 class 8 point I had the encounter with the week prior. Only this time he wasbedded 5 yards awayfrom the barn window, looking away from meand had no clue I was there. Out of all the deer I've ever arrowed, this proved to be one of the toughest shots I ever attempted. The window ledge was a tad bit high and in order for my arrow to clear it I had to shoot on my tip toes. Once I released the shot, I watched him spring up from his bed and bolt off, showing about 95% of the arrow sticking out of his shoulder blade. Talk about a horrible feeling! I backed out for 5 hours and went back only to find about 100 yards of tiny blood drops and a arrow witha bunch of hair on it, andvery little blood. That was the last time in the 07-08 season that I saw a shooter, and it was tag soup for this guy!..............One positive came from this story and that is my father and I both had nice encounters with him this season in November with about 10 more overall inches and pushing 40 inches of mass! I surehope I find his sheds this year!

It's hunts/seasons likethat, thatmake us appreciate the good ones that much more. So don't ever get discouraged if you're having a rotten season. Lord knows I felt like giving up bow hunting forever after that November!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 AM

Missed a B&C, maybe, Oct.29th 20 yds. broadside looking away from me. Doesn't get any easier; however doesn't get any harder in the same token, if that makes any sense to anyone.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is the biggest buck I ever missed with the bow... I wound up getting him w/ the muzzleloader less than 1/2 mile away. When I missed in late October, he came in w/ a doe... I got buck fever. shot over his back at 20 yards.
I didn't let him get by w/ the TC...

Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I missed a 160 or so whitetail last year with my muzzleloader. I was standing at the end of a cornfield that was being picked and this buck ran out the said about 50 yards from me. I took one shot and led him a little too much I think. I wanted to throw up.