Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New String, Lots of ignorance. >

New String, Lots of ignorance.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New String, Lots of ignorance.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Default New String, Lots of ignorance.

Well with my season finally wrapped up it was time to get my new string put on. The only WC dealer remotely close to me was a Sportsmans Warehouse in Oklahoma City. I got a gift certificate there for Christmas and decided to use part of it for a new string and set of cables. You guys can make fun of my colors if you want but I am young, and like it loud.

Anyways to get to the meat of the post, when I ordered the strings they said that they would install them for me, great I though, I have no bowpress and didnt really want to take it to my local bow shop since I didnt buy the strings from him. I know he would not have minded but I just felt a little guilty. Well After they got the string installed I shot it a few times and they said, well looks good we will see ya.
Now I dont claim to be any kind of a techie at all but tell me if the twists in the bowstring should be a little tighter, he said that the string was twisted to where maxed out my bow pulled right on at 70 lbs. (hope that made sense).

So tell me do I need to get maybe the string twisted a little more and less on the cable???? I dont know, some of you guys are experts and hopefully can help me. Thanks in advance for advice.

BTW: shot through the chrono and was shooting exactly 280 with a 418 gr. arrow, if my calculations are right I am getting 72.79 ft.lbs of kenetic energy. Is that right also???

Thanks here are some pics for you guys to make some judgements on.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Default RE: New String, Lots of ignorance.

Another Pic

Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Measure the ATAlength (29.75") and brace height (7") to see that they are where they should be. If they're on and your poundage is at where it should be then you should be set.

Man! I thought my DXT colors were loud!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Checked em, ata 29 3/4
Brace height 7"

I will check, but am pretty sure thats where they are supposed to be.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM

I almost went orange and black Kodiak, (my school colors OSU), but decided against it.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet set of strings and cables!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks Rory,
the more I look at em the more it is bugging me, I am taking them to my local bowshop and let him get everything looking a little more even. If it affects the shooting of the bow or not, it is effecting me. (or at least my OCD.)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks nice. I think like Kodiak said measure the ATA and Bace height and if the draw weight is right then your good.

I need to replace mine after season I guess. I've been hearing negatives about the strings on Bear bows. So I may end up replacing it. Green and brown is what I have now.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

I know this is too late, but I marked my wheels when I got my bow with a gold paint pen. When I put the new string on, I twisted it until it matched my markings. My draw before and after now match. I am not following the BH comment.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Zach, make sure the cam timing and idler wheel lean is correct or else you'll be scratching your head why it won't shoot as good as it used to.

Quick Reply: New String, Lots of ignorance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.