Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's up with these new Muddy sticks? >

What's up with these new Muddy sticks?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's up with these new Muddy sticks?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's up with these new Muddy sticks?

For those who don't think 4 sticks will be enough. Remember most trees have branches that can add to how high you go. Very seldom do I climb a tree that doesn't have a branch or to to aid me getting higher.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice looking sticks and good to have choices between 2 fine lightweight mobile sticks. Personally I like the pivoting v-brackets on the LW.

I've often wondered if I could weld the ones on my LW sticks into a solid position somehow.
Not me Greg. I love the pivoting brackets. Though quite different in design and function part of the reason I hated the Summit Bucksteps was the "fixed" brackets, more easily able to slip or move from side to side. I actually had the Bucksteps move to one side when using them one time, I immediately sold them and bought my LW sticks and never looked back.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Nice looking sticks and good to have choices between 2 fine lightweight mobile sticks. Personally I like the pivoting v-brackets on the LW.

I've often wondered if I could weld the ones on my LW sticks into a solid position somehow.
Not me Greg. I love the pivoting brackets. Though quite different in design and function part of the reason I hated the Summit Bucksteps was the "fixed" brackets, more easily able to slip or move from side to side. I actually had the Bucksteps move to one side when using them one time, I immediately sold them and bought my LW sticks and never looked back.

I agree with cougar. I love the fact that the LW v-brackets pivot. If it wasn't for this I could get up in a couple of my favorite trees. I've had the buck steps and another set of steps that I didn't trust because they would slide around the tree no matter how tight I cinched them!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I agree with cougar. I love the fact that the LW v-brackets pivot. If it wasn't for this I could get up in a couple of my favorite trees. I've had the buck steps and another set of steps that I didn't trust because they would slide around the tree no matter how tight I cinched them!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Me too. I have felt that the V pivoting feature has been a must in my years as a mobile hunter. Makes the stick "FIT" the tree perfectly and grip on. Otherwise it just doesn't hook up right. I have 3 gorilla Lone Wolf stick imitators, that many of you will never see, as they were a copyright rip off off of LW sticks, and production was forced to cease. Slightly longer, and the V's didn't pivot. I took my grinder to them as I didn't feel they fit on the tree right as they didn't pivot. I even replaced the hooks on them with LW versa buttons. All of my 6 sticks also have the Utility contriction ropes on them and they are sweet. If I was to buy these Muddys, I would grind off the back of the V's that keeps them from pivoting, just like I did on my Gorillas. I am not going to take away from what Todd says he likes, I just know what I like in a climbing stick.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

AT the very least, i see my self getting one for the top step to use for setting the stand. For me, it's the STree saddle, so i may get two of these to put on each side of the tree for my "pivot" anchors.
Nice.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you guys - the Muddy sticks won't slip. The reason - because tips of V-brackets are designed to "Grab" the tree after the initial movement that causes the rope to tighten, pulling the sticks even tighter to the tree. Ours are FAR less likely to move than the rotating V-bracket style design. They basically bit into the tree due to the small area of contact that is forced into the tree. The larger the contact point, the less grab - more slip. This is what is happening with the other mentioned designs.

When a V-bracket rotates it does two things; first, it takes the path of least resistance, and secondit causes torque on the bolts/ nuts. This loosens the nuts and bolts over a very short period of time - which has driven me friggen nuts over the years. They are never tight enough!

When taking the path of least resistance, this doesn't always translate into a secure fit on a tree. This is part of the reason why we also have the shorter sticks. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the bottom of my sticks out after having them secured. This is not as likely to happen with a fixed V-bracket on a shorter stick. It is safer!because you don't have nearly as long of a "lever" to pull or push the stick out.