HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is this a good arrow... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/282812-good-arrow.html)

TLockTerror 01-15-2009 08:50 AM

Is this a good arrow...

...For my wife to shoot, GT 5575. Cut to 26.5, 8.2 Gr/In, 100 Gr heads. Will this arrow be producing enough KE and speed for deer hunting? She is shooting 45# right now out of a bear lights out

kickin_buck 01-15-2009 09:05 AM

RE: Is this a good arrow...

A rough guess, her arrow should being weighting around 347 grains (arrow+bh+nock+insert+vanes). I don't know what kind of speed she is getting out of her Lights Out, but IF she is getting 230fps, that arrow whould produces 44.77 foot lbs of KE. It is commonly stated that 40 foot lbs of KE is all that is required for game such as deer.

I would say that she is good to go. However, this is based on a speed which I do not if it is correct. You need the speed in order to figure KE. If she is getting 230fps or faster, I would say send her for backstraps. I would recommend against having her shoot an expandable BH. Also remember that shot placement is going to be very key for her, as it will be unlikely she will be blowing thru the animal.

OHbowhntr 01-15-2009 09:16 AM

What's her DL??? I guestimated a 25.5 DL, at 45# with a 350gr arrow and you only have about 200fps, and 30ft/# of KE. If the shots are SHORT, and you use a good COC BH, and keep them where there supposed to be, I think she's ok, but with that specific set-up, I'm only getting it to a max of 32ft/# of KE. If her DL is longer, it will help, but I believe you may be risking a "heart break" with that set-up. If she's a 27.5, I get her closer to 38ft/# of KE, which is closer, but keep in mind, there were many recurvers with much less energy, but also much more MOMENTUM!!!

HNI_Christine 01-15-2009 09:38 AM

I currently shoot a 368 gr arrow out of a bowtech equalizer set at 43lbs. My KE is less than 40lbs.

I use a Muzzy 125 gr, 3 blade broadhead.

I shot at four deer this year.

Deer #1, an old doe. Pass thru.

Deer #2, big 3.5 year old doe. Pass thru.

Deer #3, BB. Pass thru.

Deer #4. No pass thru but the arrow hit the far side leg bone. Broadhead did chip the humerus but didn't break it.

I've killed deer and hogs with as little as 32 ft pounds of KE. Shot placement is of course, key. Have her keep her shots to 30 yards and less.

Also, forget about speed. With low poundage set-ups you'll want her to have a heavy arrow. Momentum is more important for us light poundage shooters than speed.

Good luck to you both!

TLockTerror 01-15-2009 11:11 AM

Her draw is 26''. I wouldnt mind upping her arrow weight to get the momentum. Whats the best way? Heavier inserts? Weight tubes? or just a 125 gr broadhead?

muzzyman88 01-15-2009 11:25 AM

I think HNI_Christine hit the nail on the head here. For deer sized game, you don't need massive draw weights and heavy arrows to blow through a deers rib cage.

Nice pics and congrats Christine..btw. ;)

Sooner State Hunter 01-15-2009 11:28 AM

Going off memory, the 5575's have a static spine of .400 which would be awfully stifffor her setup.

TLockTerror 01-15-2009 12:52 PM

The arrows Fly awsome out of the bow and she is getting 4 inch grouping at 30 yards, and did paper tune great so the spine might be a little stiff yes, but for some reason it works just fine out of that bow. Accuracy is not the issue its penatration that is the issue. Thank you for all your help. I think i will add some weight to the front of the arrow and see what it looks like.

KodiakArcher 01-15-2009 02:44 PM

Brass inserts and 125 grain heads would help with total weight, Forward Of Center balance and spine.

bowtech die hard 01-15-2009 03:31 PM

I'm with Christine on this one.