Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wild animal - Captured! (updated p. 5) >

Wild animal - Captured! (updated p. 5)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wild animal - Captured! (updated p. 5)

Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Wild animal - Captured!

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Greg I think your owl is actually a "Long Eared Owl" and if it is, it also looks like it's an Endangered species and illegal to keep any part of
Don't be tucking away any feathers for your hat. LOL

http://www.illinoisraptorcenter.org/Field%20Guide/longear.html
I think we have we have a winner but hellifiknow.
I too think Matt is right. Good call Matt. I briefly looked up owls of Wisconsin and this long eared species wasn't even listed. The one I caught must be lost! [8D]

BTW, if it were a Great Horned owl, I would have never tried to catch it with what I was wearing! I would have had to put on thicker gloves and possibly a helmet. [:-]
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

Description: The Long-eared Owl is a medium sized owl with conspicuous ear tufts. The ear tufts may be completely invisible when they are laid down, as they are in flight. Its colors are similar to the Great Horned Owl although its slender shape, smaller size, large round orangey facial disk, (that extends far above its eyes), and cross barred chest set it apart. The facial disk is circled with black that often has distinctive white inner and outer borders; white eyebrows and lores; orange to lemon yellow iris; and black around the eyes. The upper parts are dark brown mixed with white, black, orange, buff, and gray. The under parts have a white base color with some mix of orange and bold dark brown cross barring. The white tail feathers are barred with dark brown (note the distinct difference of the fine horizontal bars on the under parts of the Great Horned Owl).
Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a picture of a screech owl that was sleeping on my electric meter.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hay, it looked bigger in the picture!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, if it was a great horned owl, youd need a lot more protection than that. Great Horned Owls are probably they largest predatory bird in North America, although Bald and Golden Eagles are larger, I think the GHO is more of a hunter than either of those two. Cool pics. Careful though, some peckerhead DNR official could cite you for being in possession.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Bartender

It is a great horned owl and Greg I will have somewhere you can take this pretty soon.
I consulted with a buddy of mine who actually studies Owl's and I should be getting a call
soon. I will call you on the Cell.

T
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah he looks pretty pissed! LOL. What did you end up doing with him Greg?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM

Dang, he looks possessed by the devil himself....
Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

So...is owl the other, other white meat?[8D]That thing looks big in the pics. I say you keep it and let it perch on your shoulder....you know, kinda like a pirate with his parrot.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

It is a great horned owl and Greg I will have somewhere you can take this pretty soon.
I consulted with a buddy of mine who actually studies Owl's and I should be getting a call
soon. I will call you on the Cell.

T
Peak,
Greg said it's around 10" tall LOL
That's one serious midget Great Horned Owl.

Look at the link I posted and pull up both pictures side by side and look at the markings and features. Other than Greg's being a little fluffed out because it's winter and he's pissed. they're identical.

I'm still going with Long Eared Owl.

Quick Reply: Wild animal - Captured! (updated p. 5)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.