If so, do you feel it makes a difference?" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing? >

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Rory..take it from me...if you can't hunt the wind..then stay home.
Some people would never get a chance to hunt.
HCH has a valid point.

You might as well not hunt if you've "told" the deer where you are. Does anyone think that if a deer smells them that they will still come by?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Kyle, It took me a lot of years of hunting to figure outthat preparation kills deer. Stand sites should be determined prior to season and things like wind direction should be taken into account when selecting these sites. Once season starts wind direction should determine stand selection and not hunting or hunting the wrong wind. This should be part of pre season. Luck is when preparation meets oppertunity.
Yes they should, and they are. We generally hang 15-20 stands every summer. However, virtually for every stand, no matter where hung...there needs to be a s or sw wind. Early season, that is MONEY. We get a lot of south winds. Mid-Late season, it simply sucks. Obviously. There is a huge swamp on our property, that is where the deer are, unless they are feeding. My property is a very hard one to hunt.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

HCH has a valid point.

You might as well not hunt if you've "told" the deer where you are. Does anyone think that if a deer smells them that they will still come by?
No, I don't think they will. However, I'd rather be in the woods and see nothing...than not hunt at all. College really gets in the way of hunting on my farm, I basically get weekends.

I'm trying to score some land closer to the University. Hope it works out, for my sake.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt have anything against trying it..I do mybest with other scent eliminating tactics, but I can't afford one of thosescent lok suits
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Site Buck Guru

HCH has a valid point.

No, I don't think they will. However, I'd rather be in the woods and see nothing...than not hunt at all. College really gets in the way of hunting on my farm, I basically get weekends.

I'm trying to score some land closer to the University. Hope it works out, for my sake.
Unfortunately, by doing so, you may see nothing at all for the rest of the season. ( I learned this myself....... the hard way! [&o]).

By getting some other spots to hunt will really help.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM

I don't really know if it works or not, but my opinion is this...... "I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire" than have to worry about showers, sprays, clothes, etc. I'll just keep hunting the wind and if its a bad wind for all my spots, I'll keep my butt at home.

I make every effort to ensure I have multiple stands for all wind directions, morning and evening.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Bear with me as some of you have seen these pics before; I would like to point out these pics of a property and this was the only tree that could be hunted out of if the wind was out of the North if I wanted to hunt this corner. In my old days I would have just said screw it...can't hunt here. I knew it was good as I had seen deer move through here as I sat in another stand location. This is an example of yes I can hunt here and I made it work. How many of you guys would have said, no way...no deer is going to walk by that or even took the effort to get a stand here? Like Greg said, do u really think a deer is going to come by you if you tell him where you are at?[&:]

Tree so small I have to add width. stand is 7-8 ft high

Here comes mr pinoak buck

10 yds from tree

10 ft from tree

Directly under me, by leaf above my right boot. 3 ft from my boot. No carbon clothing, scent sprays, cover scents. The wind is in my face. River bank behind me, a funnel from my right that makes the deer walk right by here.

Right below me. I have this stuff happen ALL OF THE TIME, by having the wind in my favor. The only thing that is PROVEN to work in not having a deer wind you..the wind in your favor.

Walking away after spending several minutes under my stand. I wore cotton gloves and I only needed one LW stick to get in this tree and he sniffed the stick..couldn't smell me, and just hung out and calmly walked away to my left, none the wiser.Would I waste my time sitting in this stand with a south wind and wearing carbon clothing and cover sprays...no..I have better ways to waste my time.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH has a valid point.

Good luck! It seems good land it pretty hard to come by these days though...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH has a valid point.

I used to think that way too. But what you end up doing is educating the deer and ruining future hunts from that stand.
If I hunted your situation I would find a different woods to hunt when the wind was wrong. Once again this is a situation that you should have addressed before season. Also, sometimes hunting the "wrong" wind is a good thing. If you know what trail a buck is using coming out of your swamp and the wind is wrong you could set up on the side of that trail and the deer -thinking he can use the wind- might come out because his nose tells him it's safe. This is something that Miles Keller talks about on setting up on a buck.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

What if you have a stand where there is an EQUAL chance of deer coming from 2 totally opposite directions. Should you stay home

Quick Reply: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.