If so, do you feel it makes a difference?" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing? >

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

What if you have a stand where there is an EQUAL chance of deer coming from 2 totally opposite directions. Should you stay home
Then I would have 2 stands. One to cover each wind situation. This is why I like portable stands. I can adjust to the situation. I would rather cover less area and be pretty sure I won't get winded then cover a lot of area and blow my chances at a good buck. If a older buck knows you hang out there you probably won't get him. Thats how he got old.
I usually pick a stand setup based upon some sort of terrain that stops deer from coming from a certain direction. That way I can be fairly sure I won't be winded.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magicman-yea I have multiple stands but there is one that sits on a shelf that a lot of bucks useto get across the ridge, both ways.. I just bought a Gorilla climber for that exact situation. Thanks for the food for thought though, I agree with you 100%about having as natural barrier as the ideal situation to set up on them. In this case it doesn't exist though. Im always learning something on here
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

You guys couldn't hunt my honey hole, there may be a favorable wind but I've taken mature bucks that have come from that direction too when the wind was blowing in their favor. Deer can and do come from every single direction in that spot. There is no defined direction where the are or where they are going.

How'd ya'll handle that one with your "NO" scent control practices?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

You guys couldn't hunt my honey hole, there may be a favorable wind but I've taken mature bucks that have come from that direction too when the wind was blowing in their favor. Deer can and do come from every single direction in that spot. There is no defined direction where the are or where they are going.

Rob, that sounds like the woods I hunt the most. I do have some scentlock, but I rarely wear it. All I do (or feel that I can do) is get myself and my gear as clean as possible and try to hunt the predominate wind directions. I probably get busted way more than I realize, but thats what I do.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you totally credit Scent Control to taking these Mature deer? How many?

You know, the rut will make even a Mature deer act stupid. Look at some of the women you dated Rob.[8D]

Eeewww, I know I didn't.[:-]

LT
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I remember seeing the aerial photo of your spot. Let's face it, no spot is the "perfect" set up. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. I believe that scent control is important. I believe everyone should do everything they can to control scent. My above posts were more concerned with using the wind as one form of scent control. If I was hunting your spot during the rut I would pay little attention to the wind or the number of times I hunted it.
Super Moderator

The midwest winds are constant and rarely change direction.
At times. I hunt an area near the Wabash River occasionally and the wind swirls constantly. On my last hunt of the season it changed direction 4 times within 2-3 minutes and I knew my hunt was cooked and so it was. Twice that afternoon as I watched a group of does heading my direction down a trail the wind changed and each time the does promptly turned around and went back to where they had come from. Playing the wind as to what general direction it should come from in that particular day is about all we can do. But there are times when we are going to be scented despite our best efforts, I don't care who you are.
Fork Horn

I wear sentlock clothing. It is pointless to wear the clothing though if you don't go through every step. For instance putting on all the clothing your hood then fail to have sent gum or spray for your mouth, makes it pointless to wear the clothing. Or your hat is soiled or one of your gloves stink. If you go through the rigerouse routine that is to much work for most guys it will work. I've had it work on many occations and shot a 130 inch buck this year that came down wind100 years all the way to 12 yards where I killed him. I don't wear it on every hunt because it's to much work to do it all the time. I wear it during the rut when mature bucks are on the move and when I have lenthy sits in wind swearling stands (Bottoms) during the rut. I have my scentlock gum in, mouth spray about every 15 min.while I sit. I also spray down everything before I sitand sometimes when I sitting in the stand depends on how long. I shower in non-scent soap, dry off with a towel that was washed in non-scent soap put dead down wind lotion on and store all my clothes in scent free containers.

Don't get me wrong it's alot of work to do all this and most guys will not do it, and the ones that don't believe in it just haven't done this and have not tried it to see the results for themselves. Like I said I don't do it all year just for my week off during the rut when the big guys are moving. It has worked on several occations but just recently paid off this year. Which maked it worth doing for that week....to me anyways.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it was cheaper i might give it a try.I would guess that it only helps control odor.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a question about how these scent control clothes work. If I move my arms around when I have a coat on I can feel the air escape thru the sleeves. When I move my legs the air comes out the bottom of my pant legs. Air also escapes out of the collar area of my coat. Basically anywhere there is an opening air is being transfered. How does a scentloc coat and pants stop all that scent from getting into the air? This along with the fact that a bloodhound can find a man who is wearing scent control is why I don't pay the money for it. I am always trying to increase my odds at taking a big buck and if I thought this stuff really worked I would be all over it. I get the same results by keeping my hunting clothes in a plastic tote with pine boughs. So far I have not seen any scientific evidence that it works. Matter of fact I have heard a lot of info as to why it really doesn't work. I have heard the usefullness of the filtering agents are already filled up before you even wear it. I have heard that the temps needed to reactivate it would destroy the garment. There are just too many questions and no answers for me to invest a lot of money in it. If you believe in it and use it thats fine with me too.

Quick Reply: Do you wear Odor eliminating clothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.