Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More News from the ATA 366 fps >

More News from the ATA 366 fps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More News from the ATA 366 fps

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

Derek, what shafts were you shooting through your OMEN, what weight broadheads? 356 sounds sweet, I want to try to hit the magic 366fps IBO or more and need all the help I can get.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill tell you right now that it will not shoot 366 right out of the box. My 356 is with a peep and loop. That would have put it right around 360. I was shooting a 330gr. arrow at 66#'s.

Aftermarket strings and tuning are the only way to get anymore speed out of it. The strings arent bad from the factory (America's Best). Tuning wise, the bow will be better if its timed where the top cam hits the drawstop first. You will probably pick up a bit of speed out of it right there... My bow was pretty well right outta the box tho. BH was right at 5.5" and ATA was less than 1/4" too long at apprx:33 5/8" rather than 33.5. The timing reference marks were pretty well in line with the cable, but that doesnt really mean too much...

Right now im shooting a 530gr. 2514 at 287fps at only 67#'s.

What DL are you?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Spike

My DL is 29" and I'll only be using a D loop on the string.
What aftermarket strings are you using?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by clos21
I dont know about that. I have a PSE BowMadness XS I tried different setups with arrows. I tried GT 7595 400 gr 386 gr with the 400 gr I was getting 294 fps with the 386 gr i was getting 297 fps. So then I tried GT 22's at 366 gr now im getting 305 fps. with a 30" draw 68.8 lb and all the arrows cut to 29". So I don’t know if the site you are referencing is not being bias toward Mathews.
Im not saying that i have one of those speed bows but i do think that if you play with arrow weights youcan get the speed or close to the speed that they say. JMO
Yep they did and got them cooking. It was a bunch of you tube vids done by some guys in a shop can't remember which one.

294 is a far cry from 330+. I've gotten 291 out of my 2005 Hoyt protect with close to a 400grn arrow. Gotten it out of my brothers 2006 as well. I'm just thinking they should at least be over 300. The Mathews was.the only one. Didn't do the math but what percentage drop is 366 to 280? Seems sixable and at least worth a raised eyebrow.

I'm not up on bow dynamics but if it's like others thing it's possible the word "develops" is implied. Add a load and things change on a large scale. Electric motors are like that. Size really does matter in a motor. Doesn't take much hp rating to start getting a large motor. 3hp is pretty large unless you get one that develops it. It might develop 3 but it won't have the guts when you hit it with any kind of a load.

It's all energy. I also don't know in what way they were impeding/friction on the arrow. Things might not even have been setup right.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

To each his/her own. There are dozens of single cam bows, binary, cam and a half, and whatever else out there by numerous manufacturers that are absolutely sweet! Smooth draw and excellant speed. Absolute killers. If folks want to dish out more money for more speed, good for them. Really, there's so many good bows out there, what is the point in regurgitating the same ol' stuff. I didn't own a switchback, but the guys that did told me the Drenalin was no real improvement, and not worth buying if you already owned a Switchback. I own a Drenalin, and to me, a Reezen is no real improvement over the Drenalin. The draw is harsher, so maybe its not even up to the Drenalin. How much more can they improve a bow? Only thing left, is speed. By designing faster bows, its something "better" and they'll eventually figure out how to better the draw cycles. Something has to keep them in business. The number of people who buy a new bow every year or two, pales in comparrison to those who shoot a bow for five years or so. Year to year, the improvements don't appear to be much. Look at it every five years. I say make em' as fast as you can! Only helps the industry, and the consumer. Nobody forces anybody to buy anything.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nodog
Yep they did and got them cooking. It was a bunch of you tube vids done by some guys in a shop can't remember which one.

294 is a far cry from 330+. I've gotten 291 out of my 2005 Hoyt protect with close to a 400grn arrow. Gotten it out of my brothers 2006 as well. I'm just thinking they should at least be over 300. The Mathews was.the only one. Didn't do the math but what percentage drop is 366 to 280? Seems sixable and at least worth a raised eyebrow.

I'm not up on bow dynamics but if it's like others thing it's possible the word "develops" is implied. Add a load and things change on a large scale. Electric motors are like that. Size really does matter in a motor. Doesn't take much hp rating to start getting a large motor. 3hp is pretty large unless you get one that develops it. It might develop 3 but it won't have the guts when you hit it with any kind of a load.

It's all energy. I also don't know in what way they were impeding/friction on the arrow. Things might not even have been setup right.
Your right 294 is a far cry from 330+ but i was only using my bow as a reference. and i think a single cam bow that is only 28" 1/2 ATA with a brace height of 7" 3/8 and is still able to push a 400gr arrow 294fps thats fast and now that i get 305fps out of it thats balls no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by clos21; 09-10-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by monster malibu
My DL is 29" and I'll only be using a D loop on the string.
What aftermarket strings are you using?
I have the factory strings on right now. They are holding up pretty nicely. I was just saying, that most of the time a good aftermarket string will give you a few fps.

There have been a few guys with aftermarket strings and tuning get the same/close to the same speed as me with 29" Omens.

Im sure you are familiar with crackers right monster malibu? I saw that you are also on AT so i imagine you have heard of him.

This was the first one he did.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...highlight=Omen
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Spike

After bow season is over my OMEN will be going to Carter's Archery for a tuneup and new strings.
I was at my local bowshop today and the guy that'll be setting up my OMEN said he knows a PSE rep that shoots an OMEN around 380FPS, and he will be getting intouch with him for speed ideas for me.
I CAN'T WAIT...