Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Things you do that absolutely improve the fun in your hunt? >

Things you do that absolutely improve the fun in your hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things you do that absolutely improve the fun in your hunt?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Things you do that absolutely improve the fun in your hunt?

1) Shut off my computer.

2) Shut off my cell phone.

3) Drive to my spot with the radio off.

4) Walk to my stand with high anticipation.

5) Climb up and watch 'til dark for deer, with no interuptions.

The peace and quiet, sounds of the woods and animals......... aaahhhhh!

It don't get any better than that.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm nostalgic, so I often catch myself thinking about things I did near where I am hunting that particular day when I was younger (grew up playing on my hunting grounds). I enjoy watching squirrels and the birds, and I'll often treat them as a deer, keeping myself as still as possible to see how close they will get. I've had birds land on my stand, in branches right next to me, squirrels climb down to eye level, etc. That's always fun. I like bringing the camera with me to photograph things as they happen. I just started doing that this year, but I got some great shots. Oh yeah, and seeing deer is a plus
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to hunt with someone so I can share in the memories with someone.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff guys. My hunting buddy andI got to hunt a lot more together this year as my schedule changed, allowing me 2 weekends off each month. We probably hunted 10 times together this year which was just fantastic.Although I primarily like to hunt by myself, I really enjoyed that time with my friend. Wealso scout a ton together in the off-season and really know what each other is talking about when we described where we were hunting. I may try the hand held yahtzee game or something next year as I get fidgety as well after 4-5 hours.

Kodiak, I could see how listening to an audio book would be great on long trips as well.

You know what Greg, I like to turn it all off too when I hunt....just getting back to basics.

I believe I will bring in a camera next year as my wife gave me her old digital camera. I ain't getting any younger and want to have pictures to remember my seasons as I did not take any pictures the first 15 years I hunted.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like trying new things. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

I started taking a camera with me. It is something I will do from now on. I got a lot of cool pics that I can enjoy for the rest of my life. I also love the pics taken at the kill site before the deer is gutted.

I love finding other peoples game cameras. There are some guys out there with some interesting photos

I try not to take hunting or myself too seriously. No pressure=more fun.

I make sure I have a good supply of Windsor for after the hunt
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just love the hunt.
The main thing to me:
Sharing it with others.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

First off, great question! I am always looking for and thinking of things along those lines that will add to my experience in the woods, and to whoever I take with me as well. Of all the things I've done, I think the single most effective method for keeping me excited is reviewing all of my trail camera pics right before I go out. If you don't have a cuddeback or some other trail camera, get one! Knowing what big bucks are out there is enough to make me sit all day full of excitement and anticipation! Not to mention who ever goes out with you will be equally excited!

Another thing that can add some fun to your hunting camp is to create a "square game". For example there are usually 3 of us during the week of the rut and we have about 12 stands to choose from each time we hit the woods. Each square represents a day of the week as well as a particular tree stand. Each hunter draws a number to see what order he or she will be when you start picking your squares. Keep repeating the order of picking until all of the squares are filled up with someones initials. To make it a little more interesting, try to hide the name of the stand so noone has a clue what stand they're actually picking. Each hunter can toss in "X" amount of dollars (pre-determined),into the pot and then at the end of a successful week, you can look at the square sheet and see who picked the lucky square. If the person who picked the square is different than the hunter who shot the deer, then they split the pot up to that point. This way you don't actually have to shoot a deer to win some money, keeping everyone's morale high in camp! But if someone harvests a deer and also happens to occupy that square, then they win all of the money up to that point. The total pot at the end of the camp is split up between the successful hunters and the lucky square occupants! Have fun with it!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

I like it all and have fun each time out. Having the right equipment is what makes it sweet to me..and after years of doing it..I am setup awesome.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

4. Hunting near running water seems to be a calming influence, and you can't beat the beauty of it

What are some of your "pick me ups" when hunting?
It might be calming, but I wouldn't be able to hear the deer coming. As far as"pick me ups" go, I liketo do a blastof crank every now and then.Seriously though, I love getting in the woods early, andthe anticipation of it getting light in the morning.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'll catch a plane ticket, just let me know what we will be hunting and when. The animals in your posts are just CRAZY. I have taken squirrels, rabbits, deer, birds, but billy goats, nope not in MI.

As for this post, I thought that I was the only one using scent control and taking coffee and snacks into the woods. Sounds silly doesn't it. This year, I have changed the way that I hunt, don't worry too much about scent, focus on wind and stand placement.

Quick Reply: Things you do that absolutely improve the fun in your hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.