Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics) >

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethical dilema.......what would you do???(Pics)

I would most likely have taken him. The buck i shot this season was gimped up really badly, but he was super skinny as well (about 115#'s) so i took him. I dont regret it at all.

Derek
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Spike

I personally would let him go. If he has made it this far and endured everything to survive. He gets a free pass. I saw a 3 legged doe last year and the though of taking herentered my mind. Then I figured that she was in no pain and she was getting along well....heck she deservesto live.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

Id shoot him even if he didnt have the bad leg

Wayne

Same here .... however, if you have been hunting a certain buck and you were willing to eat tag soup if you could not take him, I wouldn't shoot the injured deer .... it looks like he will be fine
Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 AM

He does look to be healthy so I too would let him go. I'm fortunate to hunt an area loaded with nice bucks and have passed on seven bucks this season that were all bigger than him and inside of thirty yards. If he looked to suffering I would take care of business. Ken
Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I would shoot. He does not appear to be starving to death. The injury appears to be healed over and does not appear to be limiting his ability to feed or avoid predators. If it were a fresh injury, or I seen him struggling, then I would drop him. However, based on the pictures alone, I would let him keep going.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

I gotta agree with the minority hear. While injured, that deer appears fine. Good weight, attentive eyes and ears, just a bum leg. I'd let him pass, unless you wanted to harvest him to actually harvest him, not put him out of what you think is misery. I wonder if some of you guys endorse eugenics of humans. Heck I broke my dominate hand and it was never able to heal right. It hurts like hell some times, but I make it. I also know a lot of older folks that have bum legs, hips, knees etc. WIthout help they can't do anything. You want to put them down???
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I would shoot him, put him out of his misery, and leave him for nature. I wouldn't eat him and he looks unhealthy to me. Too small of rack to shoot even if he was healthy.
I'll give you the chance to edit your post and include "TAG the harvested animal", before I call you out. Putting a deer down that you think needs it does not negate your legal responsibility to tag it even if you are not gonna take it home. Most states (if not all) have laws against wanton waste. Shooting a deer (no matter it's health status) and just leaving it qualifies as wanton waste in most books.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LRarcher

no you don't want to help out an animal that is sure to die of starvation if any thing else happens to him.

I really don't have a damn clue as to why you would ask such a stupid question.

put your self in his situation and do as you would want done to your self.

foolish

ORIGINAL: LRarcher

WOW you are a DUMB SH!T

the thing can't walk properly------- cant out run any threats

will most likely never mate

is probably in a lot of pain ( I figure that just because his whole DAMN leg & hip has been crushed in )

according to you because the deer has had this funked leg & hip for some time it is healed and he feels no pain. why waste a tag on him ????? why shoot an animal that could possibly be in pain ?? but "he dose not look like he is in pain" must be because he is not wearing a sign for you to under stand.

GET A BRAIN

First, chill with calling people names and blatant insults, you make yourself look less and less mature each time to do this. Again, goes back to that credibility thing, and I'm not real sure it's gonna be repairable if you don't change SOON!!!!

Now to the content of the post. The deer looks plenty healthy, other than the bad leg/feet. Likely and OLD injury and possible deformity, and if you don't think that deer can get up an move, you're SADLY mistaken. I've seen quite a few 3 legged deer that you'd never known were 3 legged deer until they stopped and you had an opportunity to see they were missing a leg. That deer has been that way for quite a while, and if he's survived long enough to have that well healed over appearance, there's a pretty good chance, he's not suffering as much as you may think. If he was that severely disabled, he'd have been coyote feed a while ago.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

aside from the leg he looks pretty healthy but i think i would shoot he isnt that small
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without seeing him move, I'd say he healed up pretty good. Looks like an injury from sometime this year (no funky rack). I'd let him walk and would like to see what he looks like next year.

Quick Reply: Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.