Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics) >

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ethical dilema.......what would you do???(Pics)

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

ORIGINAL: teedub31

Just be carefull. Harvesting a deer in that manner is illegal no matter how you rationalize it. It will just make it easier for you to rationalize it next year or the year after. Much like cheating on a test (most of us have that experinece from HighSchool), it was hard to do and come to terms with the first couple of times, but got easier with each test so much so that the moral issues of cheating became a distant memory afetr a while. The situation you describe is that initial test you cheated on. Are you ready to go down that slippery slope, cuz most people never make it back.

I have much more respect for the guy that ends his dream season chasing a Booner tolegally harvest a buck in mortal misery then the guy that does what you feel is okay to do.
haha, yea im still in highschool.... im responsible enough to knw not to kill for the fun of it.. when my trigger finger gets itchy or the freezer is lookin empty i take does, because a mature doe being harvested out of the herd 2-3 times a year is never a bad thing.. i wouldnt take the buck unless i thought it would die a worse death otherwise.. i guess im tryin to say that i have enough sense not to go around killing every deer i see for the fun of it, and that taking this buck would not be for sport
Point being you obviously have not harvested a buck illegally. Good for you. But you said you would, and I just cauation you to rethink that postion no matter how ethical you may think your decision is. Wrong is wrong and once you go down that road wrong satrts becoming right (or at least okay) in your own eyes. So if the situation comes up and you harvest a lame deer, do yourself an ethical favor for your ouwn future and tag that animal.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Just be carefull. Harvesting a deer in that manner is illegal no matter how you rationalize it. It will just make it easier for you to rationalize it next year or the year after. Much like cheating on a test (most of us have that experinece from HighSchool), it was hard to do and come to terms with the first couple of times, but got easier with each test so much so that the moral issues of cheating became a distant memory afetr a while. The situation you describe is that initial test you cheated on. Are you ready to go down that slippery slope, cuz most people never make it back.

I have much more respect for the guy that ends his dream season chasing a Booner to legally harvest a buck in mortal misery then the guy that does what you feel is okay to do.
X2

We start crossing a fine line when we believe that we own the right to take another life by determining it is was suffering or not. If a yote or ML, bobcat, any other animal can kill the unhealthy then, let nature take it's course. Many times we really do not know how successful the animals life will be yet, someone made a judgment from 30 yards out. Are there times when it is clearly the right thing to do? Maybe? At a min. Tag the deer and involve the commission. Any reasonable officer would give you another tag if the meat was not edible.

Not judging anyone on this forum. It is one thing to play by the rules. It is another thing to make up your own. It is a shame that the original deer in this story was needlessly killed because someone thought it was unhealthy. That is exactly what happens when you make up your own rules. Holds true for a doe, BB, or monster.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i hope i never have to worry about it lol... but i understand where you are coming from
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

the last part wasnt supposed to be quoted, but i wish you would explain yourself a little bit... i dont see why this is hurting anything..

poaching= bad
taking a deer out of its misery= ??????

it really doesnt matter to me what you think is right, but if youre gonna say stuff like that you should say why... not tryin to sound like a smarta$$
Jordan,
Not sure if Rory was saying that in jest or not, but I agree with you if he was not getting around well, appeared to be suffering, I'd probably put him down as well. I think we owe it to these animals to do that. And I'm not sure if I'd tag that animal or not, but if I shot him and decided he was healthy enough to eat, then I WOULD put my tag on him as it's my responsibility in my opinion. If that deer was hobbling around looking sickly, and I was out of buck tags, and I truly believed he was suffering, then I would put one in him and leave him for the 'yotes. I did a similar thing earlier this year on a 1.5yr old button buck, he had scoliosis in his spine, and was missing and entire muscle group out of his left shoulder. The meat was fine, I've eaten nearly half of the meat I harvested off of him, I tagged him and had no qualms about it. Unfortunately in Ohio, we are only allotted one buck tag, therefore, if I were to kill that buck, it would burn my buck tag, therefore, I'd hesitate more to kill him than if i were in a state where I could burn 2 or mor buck tags.
That was my point.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wait. No it wasn't lol. Sorry, trying to read stuff quick. My point was, that even if you decided he was healthy enough to eat or not, you should put your tag on him.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately in Ohio, we are only allotted one buck tag, therefore, if I were to kill that buck, it would burn my buck tag...
[/quote]

I would not consider that unfortunate. Indiana was always a 2 buck state for decades and never got quality deer. After just 6 years of 1 buck only now we are getting quality deer on a regular basis. Just be carefull what you wish for.
[/quote]

I follow ya Tee, I say "unfortunately," for this situation specifically, because it creates a bit of an ethical dilemma between burning or not burning my tag. In the end, often times, I think we have to balance our selfish desires and what may be morally or ethically right and make a decision. Which will you sleep with better, the fact that you killed a deer you didn't have a tag for or you burned you only buck tag with knowledge that there was a booner running that same property???? As to another situation, the deer comes in obviously in BAD, BAD shape, and you don't have a buck tag left, right by the law and right by my own ethical mind may be two different things. It certainly is a bit of an ethical dilemma, and I suppose if a guy makes a choice, and decides it's what he feels is right in his mind and heart, and goes with it, I can't blame him at all.

Rory and Jordan,
I'll honestly tell both you young men that I'm pretty impressed with how well you guys communicate on here, and seem respectful, well thought out responses with a higher level of ethics than many adult men have. You young men keep that with you all of your lives, and you'll never have to look in a mirror and not like what you see. Whether you agree or not, you both posted very mature posts for kids your age in my honest opinion, and I'm glad to have a couple young guys like you two as part of the "Future" of hunting.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

thanks!!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM

jordan,
my boy i agree with wat u are saying and Rory PISS OFF dont judge people and their idea without understanding the truth.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SOCALLEDHUNTER_23

jordan,
my boy i agree with wat u are saying and Rory PISS OFF dont judge people and their idea without understanding the truth.

Sorry to offend you

Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Banned

People sure get wound up on here policing others. These same people probably cheat on their taxes, their wives, drive 40 mph in a 35 mph zone, gossip about their coworkers and neighbors, use the Lord's name in vain, and don't follow God's laws but think they should follow one of man's laws I have never been hungry enough 2 eat something that looks deformed, diseased, sickly, crippled, etc.

Quick Reply: Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.