Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics) >

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ethical dilema.......what would you do???(Pics)

Personally I think that buck looks very unhealthy!! You can see the outlines of every bone In him. I'd shoot him In a heart beat. I'd then tag him and check out the meat. If he Isn't edible, oh well. At least I did what I thought was right In my mind.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd use my tag.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd shoot him . I am thinking it is a birth defect
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoothim even though he looks like he's doing fine. I'd be proud of that deer.My little brothers 1st deer ever (shotgun) was a 3-legged doe that was limping bad. She actually had her leg shot off from a slug on a nearby property[:-]. He definitelydid the right thing by taking her out, even thoughthe woundprobably would of eventually scabbed over and healed. Its amazing how fast deer can heal
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: teedub31

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I would shoot him, put him out of his misery, and leave him for nature. I wouldn't eat him and he looks unhealthy to me. Too small of rack to shoot even if he was healthy.
I'll give you the chance to edit your post and include "TAG the harvested animal", before I call you out. Putting a deer down that you think needs it does not negate your legal responsibility to tag it even if you are not gonna take it home. Most states (if not all) have laws against wanton waste. Shooting a deer (no matter it's health status) and just leaving it qualifies as wanton waste in most books.
I don't tag deer I see on the side of the road sitting up on their front legs and their rear end is messed up from a car either. I Just pop them with my .45 Glock and move on. I come across several a year. Sorry, not editing my post....call me out all you want ethic police. Buzzards have to eat, same as worms and a cripple or diseased animal in bad shape I put down. Just like if I see a raccoon walking around in broad daylight and staggering from distemper; I just shoot it and move on.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM

My heart is bigger than my lust. I would definately take him out with the arrow. I don't think he would survive the winter. Just what I would do. You're not right nor wrong for going either way.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 PM

I'd take him out because he's got problems, and I'd keep my tag.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: teedub31

I would shoot him, put him out of his misery, and leave him for nature. I wouldn't eat him and he looks unhealthy to me. Too small of rack to shoot even if he was healthy.
I'll give you the chance to edit your post and include "TAG the harvested animal", before I call you out. Putting a deer down that you think needs it does not negate your legal responsibility to tag it even if you are not gonna take it home. Most states (if not all) have laws against wanton waste. Shooting a deer (no matter it's health status) and just leaving it qualifies as wanton waste in most books.
I don't tag deer I see on the side of the road sitting up on their front legs and their rear end is messed up from a car either. I Just pop them with my .45 Glock and move on. I come across several a year. Sorry, not editing my post....call me out all you want ethic police. Buzzards have to eat, same as worms and a cripple or diseased animal in bad shape I put down. Just like if I see a raccoon walking around in broad daylight and staggering from distemper; I just shoot it and move on.

Thanks,nice post.Sometimes people get so caught up on the "ethics" and forget about common sense.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

If he was in pain I'd have to take him out. To be safe I wouldn't eat the meat.
I'd love to know if it's a birth defect or an injury.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Just in case any of you were wondering, this buck was found deadby my buddy on the neighboring farm. Unfortunately, there was an obvious bullet hole in his shoulder and the rack was cut off. Although we have kicked off our share of tresspassers/poachers over the years, we have a pretty good idea who it was. The only positive that I can pull from this situation, is that the person who shot it felt the same way as a lot of us did in this thread. In that wheninterpreting the situation, thought he would be good sportsman and helpthe little guyout before thelong harsh winter really picks up! But............tresspassing, cutting off the rack, and not tagging the deer,whole different issue!

Thankyou all foryour comments!

Quick Reply: Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.