Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or pass?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shoot or pass?

Personally I'd wait and pray for a better shot. If the better shot didn't come, so be it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Doefever

Personally I'd wait and pray for a better shot. If the better shot didn't come, so be it.
AMEN brother!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats not the scenario we were discussing. I was discussing your thoughts on head shooting/neck shooting/"I'm taking any shot I can take" on deer.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM

ANY shot I can take I'm taking...You know as well as I do pecking on this keyboard is one thing when determining what shot you will or won't take; while on stand that deer of a lifetime presents itself is a whole different situation. You also have to look at my current prediciment that I have been dealt. I don't have the luxury of hunting private land, where I can predictively pattern deer, I have been forced out of all my areas by people with more dollars than cents. My primary hunting spots consists of public land, rather large tracts at that (15,000) acres of unbroken forests. No fields, all out big woods with tremendous hunting pressure. So to answer your question, I'm taking the shot, any shot. Sorry if you don't concur with me boss.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

Hypothetically speaking it's during the rut, and your bowhunting,your presented with a quarting to 200" ginormous buck that closely resembles bullwinkle. Now knowing that a quarting to is a "low percentage shot" would you take it? I most certainly am going to let one fly. What would you do?
If It's a very slightly quartering to shot and he's at 10 to 15 yards, I'll do It being I know I'll hit the lungs. If It's to much of angle, no way!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ANY shot I can take I'm taking...You know as well as I do pecking on this keyboard is one thing when determining what shot you will or won't take; while on stand that deer of a lifetime presents itself is a whole different situation. You also have to look at my current prediciment that I have been dealt. I don't have the luxury of hunting private land, where I can predictively pattern deer, I have been forced out of all my areas by people with more dollars than cents. My primary hunting spots consists of public land, rather large tracts at that (15,000) acres of unbroken forests. No fields, all out big woods with tremendous hunting pressure. So to answer your question, I'm taking the shot, any shot. Sorry if you don't concur with me boss.
I hunt the same situation as you do, I hunt public land and can tell you I experience the same thing with the bucks. Most of the time, I will only see a buck ONCE, and then they are gone. I have to be ready at all times to takea good shot because it will probably be my only chance. That is why I personally choose to wait for a good shot, because if I lost a good animal I worked so hard to shoot because I chose a bad shot I would be sick. I had two shot opportunities at mature bucks this year on public land and chose not to shoot because the shots were poor.I could have just launched an arrow, but that is not me.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know as well as I do pecking on this keyboard is one thing when determining what shot you will or won't take; while on stand that deer of a lifetime presents itself is a whole different situation.
I dont' know how "pecking on a keyboard" and explaining what shot you would or wouldn't take is different than deciding the same thing on stand. Some have the will power to follow through with what we say on here [:-]. I had a 120" 9 pointer that gave me a perfect broadside view of his neck for about 10 minutes. At one point I had a small window where I "could" have squeezed one through a couple sapplings at his lungs, but wasn't worth the risk either. However I could have obliterated his neck 782 times. Finally he walked and that was that. Maybe never see him again... oh well. I've had a ton of deer that had to let walk because no shot at the lungs. Am I missing something or isn't that one of the biggest parts of bowhunting?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I hunt the same situation as you do, I hunt public land and can tell you I experience the same thing with the bucks. Most of the time, I will only see a buck ONCE, and then they are gone. I have to be ready at all times to takea good shot because it will probably be my only chance. That is why I personally choose to wait for a good shot, because if I lost a good animal I worked so hard to shoot because I chose a bad shot I would be sick. I had two shot opportunities at mature bucks this year on public land and chose not to shoot because the shots were poor.I could have just launched an arrow, but that is not me.
You did the right thing Brett In my eye's!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

PPPPPPPASSS.

Anyone that has ever hit a liver shot deer knows it can be a HELL track job. It is not worth it.

Halfrack--I will beg you to reconsider your thoughts about neck shooting deer at "close" range of 15 yards. 15 yards is NOT close range when bowhunting deer. Trust me.
I disagree with liver shots being a pain in the arse to track. My first deer ever went down and was dead in 5 seconds and 40 yards after I sent an arrow through his liver...I didnt mean to shoot it there but I had some major buck fever with it being the first deer id ever drawn on...
I shot my first doe in the liver and it didn't make it 70 yards. I didn't mean to shoot it there, but that's what happened.

Now if a deer's vitals were behind a tree and the only shot that I had was a liver shot. I would pass in a heart beat.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will say this the last time, many of you are lucky your liver shot deer expired within 50 yards. If you accidentally bump a liver shot deer just once, it could run hundreds of yards in no time flat and leave very little to follow. God forbid you are hunting in a really thick area which would make tracking very difficult. I have liver shot bucks before, some expiring within sight, others, hundreds of yards later. Not something to chance if you can help it.

Quick Reply: Shoot or pass?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.