HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Feathers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/281739-feathers.html)

luke/r 01-07-2009 02:13 PM

Feathers?

I am switching to feathers this year and was wondering what you guys suggest 3'' or 4''? Is there a difference between Gateway and Parabolic and if there is which is better?
Thanks.

HNI_Christine 01-07-2009 02:29 PM

RE: Feathers?

I use 3", 4" and 5" feathers. I use the 4" the most.

Parabolic is a shape for the feathers.(as opposed to say a bannana cut or sheild cut)I use both Gateway parabolics and Trueflight parabolics.

virginiashadow 01-07-2009 02:31 PM

Christine, I have always been interested in shooting feathers. What are the benefits? Are they easy to apply to the arrow shafts? Anything special you have to do to make them shoot correctly? Thank you.

HNI_Christine 01-07-2009 02:51 PM

From Trueflight's site (so it's obiviously has a bias)

Plastic vs Feathers
Where's the Advantage?

Plastic:
[ul][*]Low Cost.[*]Easy mass production. [/ul]
Feathers:
[ul][*]Excellent Guidance. [*]No arrow deflection on release. [*]No long yardage before stabilized flight. [*]Higher arrow velocities. [*]Up to 700% lighter than vanes. [*]Eliminate bow window clearance problems. [*]Can be shot off the arrow plate. No tricky arrow rest required. [*]Less chance of brush deflection when hunting. [*]Bow tuning is simple and less critical. [*]More forgiving of mistakes. [*]Extends useable spine range of arrow. [*]Target deflection caused by deflection of an arrow hitting the fletching of another is minimal by using feather vanes which simply push open to make room. [*]Orientation of arrow on string is not critical. [*]Unaffected by hot and cold temperature extremes. [*]Aging: Feathers are unaffected by ultra-violet rays. Plastic stiffens and deteriorates. [*]Ecologically: Feathers are natural bi-degradable products. [*]Aesthetic: Quality die cuts have a smooth soft natural and historic appeal that can't be matched by the "toy plastic" image of plastic vanes. [/ul]

Feathers: The confidence Builder!
Nothing equals feathers for:
[ul][*]Speed [*]Stability [*]Forgiving of mistakes [*]Accuracy[/ul]

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm

This is perhaps a little overblown on feather advantages, but there is truth to most of it.A feather is noisier if you brush up against stuff. You do have to take a bit more care of them when they're wet but not as much as some think.They easily attachto shafts using glues or fletch tape.

MeanV2 01-07-2009 03:37 PM

With feathers I use 4" over 3" anymore. The weight gain is next to nothing, and the 4" gives awesome arrow stability.

Spray them with some waterproofing,and you'll never have a problem with rain. I play with all sorts of fletching during offseason, and I'm sure I will again this year.

Next season will find me with feather fletched arrows in my quiver again I am sure.

Dan

luke/r 01-07-2009 05:06 PM

My local shop doesn't carry feathers is there a good place online to order them at a decent price?

KodiakArcher 01-07-2009 05:11 PM

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/inde...ath=421_78_288

If it weren't for the brush and rain up here I'd be using 4" shield cut exclusively. For now I just use them on my trad gear.

MeanV2 01-07-2009 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: luke/r

My local shop doesn't carry feathers is there a good place online to order them at a decent price?
Check out www.meanvarchery.com

I don't think you'll find betterfeathers at a better price.

Customer service is also number 1 to make sure you get what you want. If I don't have itchances are I can get itin 2 days or less, but........................ I guess I am a little biased;)

Seriously we try to make every customer a Happy customer!

Dan

mobow 01-07-2009 07:51 PM

Benefits.

Less weight. More speed. Better FOC. Work very well even if damaged. Can be applied with fletching tape, no need to use glue if you've dipped and or crested your arrows, or even wrapped them. Peel the feather off, rub off the tape, and refletch. They work when wet. They lay flat and look funny, but they work just fine. You will, however, get a puff of water in your face when you shoot them. Superior guidance. More forgiving, especially if they come in contact with something. They lay flat and stand back up, instead of deflecting like a vane does. And, perhaps the best reason of all......They look really, really cool.

virginiashadow 01-07-2009 08:07 PM

From you alls responses, I may be sold on giving feathers a try here soon.