Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I had the best time in ND, Thanks Tim! >

I had the best time in ND, Thanks Tim!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I had the best time in ND, Thanks Tim!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I had the best time in ND, Thanks Tim!

Nice doe you got there Troy...that is some chilly hunting!

Shane
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You gotta love it to hunt in those conditions!!!

You guys are animals!!!

Congratulations on a great trip, a great time, a great experience, and the doe...

Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you guys had some fun to bad you couldn't connect on the big guy.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and pics Troy. Thanks for taking time to share your trip with Tim and his family, and Dan and the Rutt Junkie Crew with us.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

If you guys ever get the chance to meet Troy... do it !! It was a real pleasure getting to see Troy again and tofinally get tohunt with him. I learned a lot from him and it took no time at all for him to figure out my area.

The conditions were tough to say the least. The old Ford plowed a lot of snow with our lovely not so well maintained roads here. Walking in knee to waist deep snow to hunt spots is always fun. The deer were herded up though and we did see a lot. We had the whole place to ourselves.We had a great time and walked away without frost bite!!

It was great getting to meet Dan and his buddies at the airport. Congrats on the bull elk !!

TeeJay... sorry about not calling. I thought you would be busy drowning minnows. You know youcan come visit orhunt here anytime.

Tim

Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 AM

Awesome story Troy. I need to send you a PM as well later on this afternoon.

Good job on the doe, too bad the big buck didn't read the script huh?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are still getting a phone call

ORIGINAL: TJF

If you guys ever get the chance to meet Troy... do it !! It was a real pleasure getting to see Troy again and tofinally get tohunt with him. I learned a lot from him and it took no time at all for him to figure out my area.

The conditions were tough to say the least. The old Ford plowed a lot of snow with our lovely not so well maintained roads here. Walking in knee to waist deep snow to hunt spots is always fun. The deer were herded up though and we did see a lot. We had the whole place to ourselves.We had a great time and walked away without frost bite!!

It was great getting to meet Dan and his buddies at the airport. Congrats on the bull elk !!

TeeJay... sorry about not calling. I thought you would be busy drowning minnows. You know youcan come visit orhunt here anytime.

Tim

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The camraderie is the best part! People who love it getting together and sharing their enthusiasm! Very gracious of Tim and his family.As I am sure Tim would agree graciousness comes easy with a guy like Troy.Great read Troy! Sorry about the circumstances with the 5x5.That rest would be coming off my bow pronto!
I am glad it was a great trip and I enjoyed hearing about it!
Now you gotta tell me how you guy's kept warm in those kind of temps!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe and good read
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scot,

We really had to layer up in those temps, especially on the days were the wind was pushing the temps down to -20 and lower..

Here is what I wore to beat the bitter cold...

1. 2 xscent base layer sets(very thin both of them)
2. Base layers, scent lok (thin but warm)
3. scent lok liner suit, (full body coverall very thin)
4. Extreme Dry Plus/Thinsulated fleece bibs and parka... You can seeMossy oak parka sticking out in a few of my pictures.. around my waist there..
5. Outter layer, Dry Plus uninsulated Mossy Oak White/Breakup.. So another layer of wind sheer and water proofing there as well...

When it was really flippin cold I added another layer of Under Armor.. So 6 layers everyday and 7 layers on a few days... Yeah I looked like the stay-puff marshmellow man!

Ok for the important extremities... FEET and HANDS..

Hands, I wore mt50 extreme 150 gram thinsulated gloves with Hand warmers in them always, the day I didnt have the hand warmers my fingers got pretty freegin cold and that sucked cause I had about 10 deer in front of me at last light including a nice buck..(the one that was broken up)

Feet, Cabelas Infernos 2000 GRAMS of feet warming paradise! LOL and a heat pack under the first layer of socks positioned right under my toes, man did that do the the trick... OH yeah, 3 sets of Cabelas Extreme cold gear socks.. I bought those infernos a size big so I could do this.. Never once did my feet get cold with that set up!

Hope that helps..

And yup Scot, I will never shoot a fall away again in temps like that, I had to crawl through the snow on my belly to many times to sneak in and get set up without the deer seeing me.. The Deer in tims area are so MUCH like Antelope.. big open country, they see you 1/2 mile away they are HERDED UP AND GONE in a stampede.. all this to say, your bow is gonna get snow on it and wet.. Moister got in my rest a couple times.. One night I had to phyiscally blow on it to keep it working ... I tried my best to keep the snow and moisture out of it, it just didnt always happen..

Tims Right we blew through a lot of snow drifts with his PICK UP too get to our spots.. We had a blast.. I egged him on one time and we ended up drying out his distributer for 1.5 hours..LMAO it was all my fault.. Dang we had a great time though.. I cant wait to hunt that late season again!

Quick Reply: I had the best time in ND, Thanks Tim!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.