Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Record Elk Confirmed >

New Record Elk Confirmed

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Record Elk Confirmed

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Record Elk Confirmed

I have no problem with how the guy killed that bull. Magnificant animal in every right.

Even if the guy did have a full team of outfitters chasing that bull around for him until he could come in and hunt it, so be it. What makes that any different than most of the guys on tv or any of us paying 3-5K for a whitetail hunt with pre hung stands by the outfitter?

There have been a lot of rumors about the guy flying in the night before because the outfitter called him and told him they know where he is. I've also heard this particular outfitter bully's a lot of area hunters around, pushing them out of areas if they know there is a good bull in there.

I dunno. Rumors will ALWAYS be there when such an animal is taken.

Congrats to the guy.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88
There have been a lot of rumors about the guy flying in the night before because the outfitter called him and told him they know where he is.
Not a rumor. As told by Denny Austad...

"And then two weeks later I get this intense call, pack it up, come on down,” said Denny.

"We get there a little before three o'clock in the morning, I get to bed about 3:15 we get up at 4:00 and the hunt is on with a CAPITAL H,” said Denny.

"We'd just taken a couple of steps and I saw the bull working down through the aspen,” said Doyle. "And just like a hundred times before I took my tripod off, set it up instantly and said ‘there he is."

You can find his story on a number of websites. He did spend some time there prior to this hunting the bull with Mossback. I think it was a couple weeks in which he had a shot but missed. So showing up the morning of and killing the bull was not his first effort. The guy is a self made millionaire and if this is how he choices to hunt, have at it. Congrats to himon an impressive animal. Guided hunts won't always be for everyone. For those that choose guided hunts, I bet it makes them happy. I can also bet ol' Denny gets a smile on his face everytime he sees "Spider" on the wall.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the clarification Vito1.

I'm sure he didn't plan for it to happen that way. But who cares, the bottom line is, he's the now the world record holder.

I've never been on a fully guided hunt. Most of us do not have the time or financial resources to fly out and back to scout before season and then go hunt on their own. I have no problem having a guide drag me all over the mountain for a week trying to help me get into position for a shot. To me, we're both hunting at the same time.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

478 5/8!!! Wow...Looks likethat elk grewan apple tree from his forehead.

I'd need a change of pants if something like that stepped out in bow range
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I've never been on a fully guided hunt. Most of us do not have the time or financial resources to fly out and back to scout before season and then go hunt on their own. I have no problem having a guide drag me all over the mountain for a week trying to help me get into position for a shot. To me, we're both hunting at the same time.
I agree, and do the same thing when I hunt on a friend's property I've never been on. I hunt a stand he hung or hang mine where he tells me to. No difference except it's free. Like I said I'm just thrifty and cant see spending that kind of money even if I had plenty. $150K could pay a lifetime of guided hunts for me.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is crazy........all I can say is wow.

Shane
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Guys, the governors tag programs are great for the wildlife, whether you are jealous of them or not. That 150K he paid for the tag at the auction ALL goes back into the wildlife, and goes a heck of alot further than my 500 tag would. If a guy wants to basically donate 150K to wildlife, I say why not let him hunt the primo unit?

His use of guides may have been excessive, but there have been no proven cases of foul play or unethical practices....which speaks even more for the bull. He hunted a few weeks for this animal, just as everyone else in the unit did (PUBLIC land). It wasn't a fly out, shoot, and leave deal like the WA governor's tag was allegedly.

I don't get why we would slander someone for putting their money to a good cause?

Money helped his chances significantly, but it certainly didnt buy this animal. It gave them the run around for several weeks, as well as all other public hunters out there. Some were beginning to doubt whether it would even be killed or not.

The difference between this hunt and a midwest whitetail hunt is on the whitetail hunt you show up walk to a stand that you have never seen before and sit and wait. This guy was out hunting the hills for a few weeks to bag the animal...different. Im not against whitetail guided hunts either, I hope to do one someday...but you can't deny an elk hunt is different than one.
The difference is in YOUR mind. I don't have a problem with either scenario.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM

What a beast!