Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question to cold weather hunters >

question to cold weather hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question to cold weather hunters

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default question to cold weather hunters

Does tempertures below 0 degrees affect a deers nose. If it is really cold out can a deer pick up your scent as well. Thanks for the info
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Default RE: question to cold weather hunters

Good ?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM

I'm not sure, good question. We don't see alot of 0 degree weather in god's country here. But, I can tell you that when I've been hunting in 8-10 degree I didn't see a dang deer one! I think for such a drastic drop in temp, they don't move, cuz they are not acclimatized, compared to deer in Minnesota where that's normal. To answer your question I don't think it would be an issue. Not sure if scent would disepate or freeze when it's that freakin' cold. It seems that it would. Not really the dude to answer that quesiton....
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if a deer is gonna smell you, they'll smell you whether its 20 degrees or -5 degrees...Iwould just tryand always hunt the wind no matter how cold it is. Good question though I really don't know for sure, thats just my opinion. Curious to know
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing messes up a deers nose except a broadhead in the boiler room. At least that's the way I'd plan.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted 24 degrees below zero tempsthis past month in Nebraska. I went through the same scent control precautions I always go through, and setup according to the wind.

I wasn't going to take any chances. My guess is yes they can!

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

On second note, there are definitely days where scent lingers longer and is no doubt stronger. I'm an AKC licensed field judge and that isobvious if you've ever spent time around scent trailing dogs.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is indeed harder for a deer (or any other animal) to detectyour odor as it gets cold. I am not saying that they cannot, just that it is harder to do so. Odor molecules are just like everything else in the world, they contract when cooled and expanded when heated.

I have no idea how much of a difference it makes, I just know it does make a difference.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

It is indeed harder for a deer (or any other animal) to detectyour odor as it gets cold. I am not saying that they cannot, just that it is harder to do so. Odor molecules are just like everything else in the world, they contract when cooled and expanded when heated.

I have no idea how much of a difference it makes, I just know it does make a difference.
I remember judging a trial once when it was bitterly cold and a dry cold to boot. We had trouble finding dogs that could follow a scent. I think a few of the more experienced dogs sight ran tracks part of the time. I do agree scent retention & strength changes with several variables.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

I agree.

Quick Reply: question to cold weather hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.