Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 long range bow shooting >

long range bow shooting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long range bow shooting

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Default long range bow shooting

I'm new here to the forum and like what I see.

My question is if any one shares the same addiction that I suffer from [8D] . I started out shooting at 20yd then went to 30yd then shot and stayed at 50yd for a couple of months after getting tired of the same distance I continually back up the range. Now I practice at 100yd + I normally don't go higher than 120, but some times I can't resist.

to me it is watching the arrow flight, it gos 16 feet hight then drops like a rock right to the sweet spot, I like to put out a can when at 100yd so I can hear the impact. I suppose it started with the realization of the daily struggle animals go through just to survive. I have not wounded an animal and I don't plan on it, when I practice I feel like I owe it to the animal.

Just to think that I could possible wound an elk in the rockies and have that animal suffer or possibly deal with one natures deaths ( wolfs, mountain lion, infection, etc...), it dose not sit well. when practice time comes around every shot is as if it is on an animal, due to the respect I have gained for theses creatures though my repeated humbling 8 hours of nothingness, just the stillness of the woods. I felt that is when I learned the most about the "true" meaning of hunting, when you see nothing, get antsy, this is when I need to remind my self of creatures like the wolf who don't have the option of going to the store and getting food, this is what they live for.

I think to many hunters are getting to used to going form truck to tree and have forgotten the reason for the hunt and what it means.

or perhaps all the weeks of not even seeing a squirrel have taken it toll

so dose any one else have these thoughts toward bow hunting ?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: long range bow shooting

Are you shooting live animals at 100+ yards???

If the answer is yes, you are not gonna find to many frineds here. Practice flinging arrows, he what ever floats yer boat. But 100 yard bow shots on a live animal is just unethical no matter how luck you may be to have not wounded an animal.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM

i like long range but would never consiter a long range shot for hunting
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 PM

NO

there is no 100yd shots on animals around here.

I'm talking about getting to the point that a 20-30yd shot is nothing, this is achieved by long range shooting.

At 100yd there would not even be enough KE to penetrate the hide !! at least on my bow
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear you say that! With that, welcome aboard.

If you feel that long range shooting makes it easier to shoot at 20-30 yards then buy all means do it. I would just question wether the form used at extreme distances would mirror the form used at normal hunting distances. Maybe they are, I just don't know.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LRarcher

NO

there is no 100yd shots on animals around here.

I'm talking about getting to the point that a 20-30yd shot is nothing, this is achieved by long range shooting.

At 100yd there would not even be enough KE to penetrate the hide !! at least on my bow
Tell us about the bow setup you use for these long distance shots. You must be quite the shooter! [8D]
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no doubt that practicing at longer distances will make the shorter shots a slam dunk. I have never taken a 100 yard shot at anything, but I do all of my shooting in the back yard at 50 yards.

We shoot at 25 yards in the indoor league I shoot in during the off season, I love to go out just before league and fling a dozen arrows or so at 50 yards. When I get to the shop, the 12 ring looks as big as a basetball and my pin looks like it is in cement.

BTW, welcome to the board!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want you to take a video camera with you next time would love to see the vid!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Tell us about the bow setup you use for these long distance shots. You must be quite the shooter! [8D]

well I'll tell ya

bow buckmasters G2 @ 70lb ( you can't beat the ATA length )

arrow- Gold tips expedition hunters

sight--20$ tru glow

release- tru fire ( ebay 35$, deal in a half )

and just blazers for feathers.

now shooting and hitting are two different things

at 100yd trying to hit a coke can I might get 1 out of ten and the rest will be 4inches near.

but if you pull at 100yd WOW that is where the toughness of the GT arrows come in.

as for form it really dose help, it is the same as a 30yd shot. I have not pulled on a close range shot since I ventured out to these long rang shots.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

First Off Welcome!

I also like shooting at longer ranges. I have only shot out to 70 yds. I think practicing at that distance gives me more confidence at more realistic ranges. I will nor nor willI ever shoot at a live animal at Long distances.. It just takes away what the sport is..

For example this year I ranged a Monster Idaho Bull elk three times at fifty yds. I drew on him twice, and i never took the shot. It just didn't feel right. I know this will sound corny, but I actually took my hat off and told him he beat me. I was satisfied...

Quick Reply: long range bow shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.