HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I Need Thoughts Quickly! UPDATED... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/281455-i-need-thoughts-quickly-updated.html)

early in 01-05-2009 07:08 PM

I Need Thoughts Quickly! UPDATED...

Tomorrow we have a storm coming in for SE Pa during the morning that's going to start as some snow, then change to some sort of mix later in the afternoon. I'd love to/need to hear some thoughts on going in before first light, and hunting throughout the day. The winds will be NE at 6mph, which is great for this new stand site I just started hunting last week.
Here's my main question. I've only hunted this site 3 times so far, always evening hunts (1:00PM-5:00PM). I have seen deer on all three hunts.Fivedoe the first time,one 5pt the second time, and 4 doe the third time. No shot opps yet. The sign (droppings/trails)is awesome!
I'm wondering if I might mess this spot up by going in there earlywhen the deer are probably already out and about (and possibly spooking some), or should I just wait and go in around noonish while the storm is under way? I was thinking if I could slip in QUIETLY before light, I might see some kick ass activity since the storm is coming.I'll have this public land LITERALLY to myself! Here's a pic from my stand, of this very thick area where they've been.;) What would YOU do?

I was in well before first light this morning. At 8:40AMI had a wide 8pt feeding towards me but from behind me![:@] It got to within 25yrds of me and looked right up at me. I even had a cluster of grape vine right behind me! He then skirted my position. Wind was good also.
Then at 10:55AM a group of about 9 or so (one little buck) walked rather quickly past me to my right out of range. It started to rain pretty good around 2:00PM, so I packed it up.[&o]:(I wanted to stay until dark, but it was just too crappy/cold/damp out. It's NOT over yet though! Thanks for the thoughts guys.;)

Buck Magnet 01-05-2009 07:12 PM

RE: I Need Thoughts Quickly!

Go for it. 5 days left in season and a storm approaching, no sense in playing it safe. I saw three bucks tonight on stand including the one I shot and when I went back to get him there were 5 doe around my stand. The deer are definetly getting ready for the storm. Goodluck in the morning!

dave37 01-05-2009 07:19 PM

go out before light and sit it out - storm comin + patience ? youll always wonder what if ! good luck

BigDaddy12t 01-05-2009 07:22 PM

I would be in your stand before first light.;)

Edcyclopedia 01-05-2009 07:22 PM

If you can put an all day vigil together then you might be able to isolate the best parts of the day.

If your saying there is an abundance of droppings, then this could possibly be a bedding area,
as I find that many piles of droppings in a small vacinity will lead todeer beds close bye??..

Also seeing your picture and how thick it is may work well if the deer want to find seclusion from the elements??..
Get "in early" (after all, it is your handle) and give us a report with pictures of your kill ~pronto!:D

Deerhunter_515 01-05-2009 08:10 PM

GO GO GO GO GO GET TO THE CHOPPA!!! yes. go b4 light.

BowtechHunting 01-05-2009 08:17 PM

Hour before light dude.

rack tracker 01-05-2009 08:40 PM

I'll be a 1/2 mile from ya in my stand in the morning on the other side of WCP.
plan on hunting until 9:00 am, then gotta go to work:(. I'll keep an ear out for the
THWACK!!! Good Luck!!! Are you still see good #'s after the two hunts? Weather was pour on both dates. Read in the paper 80 or so were taken on first hunt. Didn't hear how many on the second, but heard very few shots coming from that area.

rage2blade 01-05-2009 10:00 PM

I would be in the stand if i were you!