Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 can anyone relate >

can anyone relate

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can anyone relate

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Default RE: can anyone relate

ORIGINAL: nathanyeck

i did some thing like that in my neck, reason for it was to much pounds i was trying to pull. never did it to my arm
hope you get better....then get right back at it
OUCH, thats gotta be very uncomfortable (in the neck) like that
Woke up today and it's stiff as a board and same ammount of pain. I'm gonna give it another day or two and if not any better, gonna go see the doc. In the meantime I'm leaving the bow it's in case for a while...

I need to learn the proper stretching before shooting..to hopefully help prevent stuff like this from happening..

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott,

You should not get tired after shooting 15 arrows. It's a typical sign of drawing too much weight. Being new you should get sore muscles, but outright pain and/or cramps in the bicep means too much weight.

You can be in good shape, work out in a gym, or even be a weight lifter, but what happens is that the muscles are pulling in a direction that they are unaccustomed to. I know 60# doesn't sound like much these days, but believe me it can be.

I would suggest backing the bow down at least 5# and 10# would be better. Lay off for a couple weeks altogether. Ice the arm and take some ibuprophin. Try some stretching exercises. And yes, if need be see a doctor if it persists.

When you start shooting again keep it light so your muscles can warm uip without being strained. Add maybe one turn to the limbs each week. No more than one turn. Let your muscles develop memory. And if it shoule be that you can't shoot 60# then so be it.

I'm speaking from experience. I used to shoot high poundage, but due to just getting older, several neck surgeries, and acute muscle loss I'm only able to shoot 45# now, but that's OK. The performance of today's bow still allow for clean kills on deer at that weight. It's not about my ego or testosterone any more. It's about having fun.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see BGfisher has told you but I'll say it agian.

I teach archery to kids so I have seen alot of what your going through...maybe not so much pain but I know beginners.

First your pulling to much weight. You need to start out light and work up to your 60 lbs. 40 lbs isn't a bad place to start. It may seem easy to pull 60 but if you tire that quickly your pulling to much. Back your bow down to 50 if you can. Or find a bow with less weight. You need to be worried about your form first not your groups.

Which prings me to the second point. Your pulling your bow more with your bicept than your back. Your back is WAY stronger than your bicept. Your form isn't right or you wouldn't be hurting as much. IMO. Backing the weight off helps. Try pulling with your back sqeezing you shoulder blades together. You should be able to pull your bow back with your back against a wall without having to raise your bow upward at all. Then as you get to full draw your elbow should point almost directly away from your target. This helps make your back work instead of your arm. Its a little hard to explain. You should be pointing your elbow back the whole time like your pulling with your wrist.

Forget the pain pills you took. Try ibuprofin (Motrin) and maybeNaproxen Sodium (Aleve),I cant spell them but you get the idea. Motrin is a anti inflamitory and Aleve is a muscle relaxer of sorts. Keep stretching and I think you'll be ok. I think the doc will tell you the same. If it persists a week or so I would go too but I'd give it a while.

Like I said forget your groups for now. Lower your draw weight and shoot close to the target. Don't worry so much were it hits. Worry about your form only. Draw, anchor, hold, Release, Follow through. Those are all you need to worry about for a couple months. It will make you a much better archer in the long run and keep you from developing bad habits that are nearly impossible to get rid of. As you get to the point your not tiring as much you can back off and shoot some more or raise you weight a little at a time. My guess though its a combination of weight and incorrect form/draw. Read up or ask questions about form and you'll be better off for it.

Hope you get better and back at it quickly.
Jason
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I see BGfisher has told you but I'll say it agian.

I teach archery to kids so I have seen alot of what your going through...maybe not so much pain but I know beginners.

First your pulling to much weight. You need to start out light and work up to your 60 lbs. 40 lbs isn't a bad place to start. It may seem easy to pull 60 but if you tire that quickly your pulling to much. Back your bow down to 50 if you can. Or find a bow with less weight. You need to be worried about your form first not your groups.

Which prings me to the second point. Your pulling your bow more with your bicept than your back. Your back is WAY stronger than your bicept. Your form isn't right or you wouldn't be hurting as much. IMO. Backing the weight off helps. Try pulling with your back sqeezing you shoulder blades together. You should be able to pull your bow back with your back against a wall without having to raise your bow upward at all. Then as you get to full draw your elbow should point almost directly away from your target. This helps make your back work instead of your arm. Its a little hard to explain. You should be pointing your elbow back the whole time like your pulling with your wrist.

Forget the pain pills you took. Try ibuprofin (Motrin) and maybeNaproxen Sodium (Aleve),I cant spell them but you get the idea. Motrin is a anti inflamitory and Aleve is a muscle relaxer of sorts. Keep stretching and I think you'll be ok. I think the doc will tell you the same. If it persists a week or so I would go too but I'd give it a while.

Like I said forget your groups for now. Lower your draw weight and shoot close to the target. Don't worry so much were it hits. Worry about your form only. Draw, anchor, hold, Release, Follow through. Those are all you need to worry about for a couple months. It will make you a much better archer in the long run and keep you from developing bad habits that are nearly impossible to get rid of. As you get to the point your not tiring as much you can back off and shoot some more or raise you weight a little at a time. My guess though its a combination of weight and incorrect form/draw. Read up or ask questions about form and you'll be better off for it.

Hope you get better and back at it quickly.
Jason
Well said, Jason. Especially the emphasis on form. Form is everything, right after having a bow that fits.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott - Im in Southwest Virginia.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Thanks BG and Jason...advice taken..Once this heals up..I will concentrate on learning the proper form, and I am getting my pull lowered. Thank you for the advice!!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Spike

i sometimes get muscle pain in the shoulder after not shooting in awhile. ive never had it in the bicep though hope it gets better bud.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Thank you guys...you guys are fantastic!

I'm gonna follow the advice and concentrate on my form once this gets better...I want to be as good as I can get, and not fall into developing bad habbits..

A HUGE thank you, to those of you that pm'd me with the advice!!

This site is great as are the people here....I've learned so much here this year.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM

My (old injury) back hurts like h*ll if I shoot a lot.