Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well here is something i love to do!!!! ( long) >

Well here is something i love to do!!!! ( long)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well here is something i love to do!!!! ( long)

Old 01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Well here is something i love to do!!!! ( long)

well i thought id share something with everybody cause well idk lol but i write for the local paper an i thought id post some articles iv wrote.. Not braggin but i have won awards off of these so i take them seriously.. so enjoy if ud like to read.. First ones about a recent duck hunt i took an we filmed.. keep in mind these are storys an they are long..

A Special Duck Hunt
Cody Guess

As most hunters know, duck season is in full swing, and I have a passion for the early morning adrenaline rush that accompanies the sounds of feeding ducks at daybreak.

Due to a “mishap” the second day of the season this year enroute to the lake for a hunt, (yeah, atv’s can be a little dangerous) I was unable to go hunting for two weeks or so, or that is until I figured out how to make my crutches four wheel drive (I taped tennis balls on the tips) to be able to maneuver them in the mud and get five pairs of socks on the un-booted foot.
Staying warm was a little harder since all of my warm hunting clothes and my new chest waders didn’t survive my accident.

After hearing of my misfortune, the President of the National Scholastic Sportsman’s Program ( NSSP) Cliff Flournoy called and wanted to know if I was up to taking my family along on a Ballard County duck hunt.

My answer of course was “Heck yeah”, I had wanted to go to Ballard County duck hunting for so[/i][/b] long, and to be able to have my family along to film this hunt with NSSP was icing on the cake.
That’s what NSSP is all about, taking the youth hunting and fishing.

The only problem I had the morning of the hunt was getting my sister awake at three am, neither she nor my mom had ever been duck hunting. I was dressed and ready to go long before anyone else.

After the long drive into God’s country, we finally got there, I say God’s country because I know He gave us the desolate lakes and bottomlands to be able to duck hunt.
We stayed on the bank of the lake while the other guys put out the hundreds of decoys, all the while being serenaded by coyotes, this started Sis’ day off right.

She didn’t let my dad far from her until we got in the boat to go across the lake to the duck blind.
This lake was full of Asian carp, the ones that jump at the vibration of a boat motor, after several close encounters with a carp jumping very close to her side of the boat, my sister was more than ready to get in that blind.

Daybreak came and the decoys were doing their intended jobs and here came the first ducks, I looked around to see if mom and my sister were ready to shoot, and my sister was sound asleep next to the heater, the camera man seized the moment to capture her first moments of duck hunting. After several vollies of shooting, her nap didn’t last long.

Mom and my sister were told that they were only the second and third females to ever hunt that blind, must be the early morning thing. I was actually secretly proud to be able to take them, after all, mom is a huge part of the reason I love to hunt, she took me all the time while I was growing up.

My dad didn’t even take his shotgun, he told everybody that he would rather watch the girls enjoy the day, he did get several laughs in at their expense. He also heard a lot of “ I know how to shoot” and “I can do this myself”.

After a break in the duck action, breakfast was on the camp stove in the blind, deer sausage and biscuits, nothing tastes better than a meal cooked outdoors.

After all the interviews were done by the camera man, and he assured us he had a lot of great footage, we packed up to head back.
My sister was a little leery of the carp once again, that is until one of the guys pitched a duck in her lap, she didn’t really want anything to do with a deceased duck, but she also didn’t want the guys poking fun at her for being scared of it either, so she and the duck were one long enough for a photo.

I kept several of the duck tail feathers to remind me of this hunt, and how fortunate that I am to have a “hunting” family, they are stuck in the visor of my truck.

Mom had always said it was much more exciting to her for me or my sister to harvest an animal, now I understand what she meant. No matter how many (if any) more duck hunts my little sister goes on, I will have taken her on her first.

This Ballard County duck hunt with NSSP Outdoors was a very special day for me and the family. The show will be aired on the Sportsman’s channel nationwide later in the month.

(Here is another)

Cody Guess Hunting and Fishing From A Youth’s View

Here is a little of what I think hunting from a youths view is to me .

Today’s youth hunters are growing in numbers. More and more kids each year get hooked on hunting and fishing and that is a wonderful thing, but for them to get involved, they have to have a mentor to take them. I guess that I was just lucky, my mom has seen to it that I got to hunt and fish as much as I wanted to. Heck, she and I won second place in a pretty big bass tournament when I was 11, she has always put a lot of faith in my abilities.

Most of my friends at school love to hunt and fish to, or bow fish, which combines both worlds. Hunting and fishing does not only give us something to do, it keeps us out of trouble and creates lifelong friendships. Through my years of hunting I have gained many friends, and I am proud to say that my friends are all good guys that enjoy the outdoors like I do.

My hunting career started as far back as I can remember, going with mom when I was really little. She started out taking me squirrel hunting, dove and quail hunting, and taking me with her to the deer stand, ( most of the time she couldn’t keep me still ), but I loved to go. I harvested my first deer when I was five, with help from mom, even at that young age, I knew from that day on I would be hooked, and I still am today. She says that she created a monster that likes expensive toys.

Then the day came when my little sister wanted to go to, I told mom it was a big[/i] mistake, but, we took her anyway one day when I was about 10 . To make a long story short, just about the time mom got me in position to make a shot on a deer, Sissy yells “Run Bambi Run” and you know what happened then. So from that day on, if mom takes her, I go a different direction.

Hunting to some people is to just go out in the woods and shoot at the first thing that walks out, but I see hunting as a great opportunity to relax, get away from the house and just go to the woods. You never know when you might get lucky and see Mr. Big Buck walk out. I have been fortunate to harvest several deer, some good bucks and a lot of does.

Whether it’s hunting deer, turkey, ducks, dove, squirrel or quail, my motto is “If it flies it dies and if it’s brown it’s down”. God put these critters here for us to eat, and I do my part to fill up our deep freezes.

My family has the best of all worlds, mom doesn’t fuss about muddy boots and stinky hunting clothes, she really tries to teach us the ethical way to hunt, and dad loves to hunt and fish to, although when it comes to hunting, he usually tops us all, but in time that will change, heck, he’s getting older and I am getting smarter.

Our family is a little different than most, we all hunt and fish together, dad, myself, mom and the girls[/i][/b] to, but never the less, we make a great team. I hope someday we can make a family hunting show together, that would be so cool.

I wouldn’t know how to act if my parents hadn’t given me the opportunity to learn to hunt and fish, I do know that I would be a different person.
My goal for the future is to become a fish and wildlife law enforcement officer after college, and maybe, just maybe, I can find a girl who likes to hunt and fish to.

(an here is another one.. this one was award winning piece.)
Cody Guess
Kansas Pheasant Paradise

My cousin Trevor Stafford and I were very fortunate to have been invited by Dr Terry Calhoun to participate in a week long pheasant hunt in Cuba Kansas along with five men from Trigg County, Kerry Ford, Billy McNichols, Eric Satley, Don Bush and Ralph Mets and another gentleman from Caldwell County, Billy Travis. I didn’t want to leave anyone’s name out because they all contributed to our successful hunt.

We all met Thanksgiving afternoon to start our fourteen hour drive to pheasant paradise. Trev and I shared our ride with Dr Terry, two bird dogs and all of our gear. We didn’t care about the dog smell, we just was ready to go.

Once arriving at the home of Butch Gieber, (one of Dr Terry’s friends that lives in Kansas,) in the early am on Friday, we weren’t to tired to start hunting, we were primed and ready to go. Boom, Trev gets his first pheasant ever, before lunch.

We all were so excited, Trev and I thought we had done hit the lottery, we were finally on our dream hunt, a hunt so graciously provided by Dr Terry. To believe that these guys had been afraid we would get bored, not a chance, heck we were hours away from home, no school, and looked like there were going to be lots of birds, this is exactly what we had been dreaming of for weeks.

Mom had worried about what we would eat, the very first night we cooked the pheasants from the first days hunt, mmm, they tasted awesome, and Trev and I got to peel the taters to cook with them.

Saturday was another great day, I got to take my first wild pheasant, I was watching the dogs work, then they were on point and then there was a sudden explosion of sound when the bird flushed, the bird had done ran a long ways from where the dog pointed but I aimed and fired, my Benelli came through for me, my first bird was down.

As the week progressed, the weather got really cold, I’m talking fifteen degree wind chills and we were told that was great for bird hunting, and evidently it was. We took a total of fifty Pheasants, wow.

But that’s not all. On Sunday morning Dr Terry took us to a local church for services, I really admired that, knowing that he had enough faith to know that we had better not miss Sunday services unless we were sick. We really enjoyed seeing how other churches were different. Then we were off to more bird hunting in the afternoon.

The exciting part of bird hunting out there was that when the dogs pointed, you really didn’t know what they had pointed until it flushed. We harvested several quail and prairie chickens and I also got to harvest a Rio turkey gobbler, shot at a coyote and another guy harvested a huge bobcat.

At camp we all pitched in and cleaned our birds, cooked supper and washed dishes every day, this is something mom was surprised at.
( yeah mom, this is where I missed you the most) The only downfall at camp was we did not have cell service, so we had to drive out a ways every evening to call home.

Trevor and my parents were all very grateful to Dr Terry and the guys for taking us along, and were also very supportive of us wanting to go, mom had taken us shopping to make sure we had plenty of ammo and that we would stay warm. ( thank goodness on the warm part)

Trevor and I want to publicly thank Dr Terry Calhoun and the rest of the gang. We were treated like the kings of the field, they all worked very hard to see that this hunt was good for us younger guys.

You know, my mom wrote an article on “Mentors” a while back and now I realize what a mentor really is, I have two built in ones with my mom and dad, but Trevor and I had several on this trip.

I can’t say in words how exciting our first hunt out west was, all I can say is that we are ready for the next one !

Old 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Well here is something i love to do!!!! ( long)

Very nice!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

i added some more
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is great cody, all good reads congrats on the awards you deserved them.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your punctuation and capitalizationisn't the best that's for sure or is that just an INTERNET thing[8D]
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Your punctuation and capitalizationisn't the best that's for sure or is that just an INTERNET thing[8D]
Speaking of punctuation, where's thequestion markat the end of your sentence?Or is that just an INTERNET thing?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

haha well the storys i watch out a little more but the INTERNET i slack
Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

Speaking of punctuation, where's thequestion markat the end of your sentence?Or is that just an INTERNET thing?
I was testing you to see if you caught it.
Good write up's Cody.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

You posted an incomplete sentence, Jeff. [8D]