HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Archery hunting shooting lanes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/281156-archery-hunting-shooting-lanes.html)

steve2064 01-03-2009 02:37 PM

Archery hunting shooting lanes

One cannot under state the importance of adequite shooting lanes for a whitetail deer tree stand. This past deer season I had a nice eight pointer walk by my stand from 20 yards out but I was unable to get a clear shot( crossbow)opportunity. There where too many sapplings and branches in the way. That deer walked away, never to be seen again. After taking a deer from that stand in each of the two prevoius years,I was satified that my shooting lanes where okay. A review of all my tree stands and their shooting lanes was nowin order.

What is the recommended number of shooting lanes per tree stand ?
Location depends on the deer trails present andwhere you expect the deer to walk in.
How wide should they be ?
Should saplings be cut at waist level ?

rybohunter 01-03-2009 03:53 PM

RE: shooting lanes

I really don't go in and make shooting lanes for my stand setups. On occasions where I am in pretty tight cover, i will snap some branches where needed, but I avoid wide scale lane trimming when at all possible.

MeanV2 01-03-2009 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I really don't go in and make shooting lanes for my stand setups. On occasions where I am in pretty tight cover, i will snap some branches where needed, but I avoid wide scale lane trimming when at all possible.
Same here, even in the thick spots I hunt there are usually at least a couple of natural shooting lanes.

That's all I need.

Dan

steve2064 01-03-2009 04:03 PM

I have always tried to pick tree stands that had good conifer cover and kept the tree branch cutting to a minumum. I hang my stands in the spring and trim a bit. But after this past season it has really cost me at this one particular location.

MichaelP 01-03-2009 06:11 PM

I agree with all above posts. If I do trim anything it is a limb or 2 when I am there or in the middle of may/june. I like to leave it the way it is. If a deer gets by me because of some foilage etc...well then that is all part of the game. Only way to avoid that from ever happening again is to rifle hunt from a tripod from the middle of a field.

BOWTECHBO 01-03-2009 06:25 PM

I clear a 4' wide lane, up to 25 yds to my east and west...leave all other foliage alone...all three of my stands are in bottle necks...works for me...guess what i am trying to say is that it all depends on your surroundings...hope this helps.

Bo

BowtechHunting 01-04-2009 08:14 AM

I have two shooting lanes, on one particular site. One to the southeast and one to the northwest. If your using a climber you can always accommodate your shooting lanes. I try not to lumberjack any trees, cuz one your taking away from the woods and B. your taking away natural cover. If you have to trim, just cut out a few limbs to offer shot opportunities.

il coyote 01-04-2009 09:46 AM

If I'm going to do any 'large scale' trimming, I do it now, for the next season.

I still will trim a little bit during season, but as little as possible.

steve2064 01-04-2009 01:51 PM

RE: Archery hunting shooting lanes

Thanks for the responses, that helps.

MOTOWNHONKEY 01-04-2009 06:00 PM

RE: Archery hunting shooting lanes

I knock the whole area down with a weed eater and Grass whip in early Aug. A good 30 yard circle around all my setups. The new under growth attracts deer and I don't want to get on here in November crying because my arrow hit a limb or thistles and cost me a buck. Ofcourse some situations this can't be done. The key is to trim as little as possible in your tree since thats where you are hiding.