HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question for DIY deer butchers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/281026-question-diy-deer-butchers.html)

Rickmur 01-02-2009 05:15 PM

Question for DIY deer butchers

This is one chore I despise but paying $85 or so to have it done doesn't sit pretty with me either.I've done that on 2 of the previous deer I have taken this year and did it myself on the other 2.When I do do the butchering myself I debone everything.So I hadthis idea to make it easier. I have a table saw, you know the kind you saw wood with. I was wondering if this would/could be used like a band saw to cut out steaksif you had the right saw blade in there. So if it's possible to do this what blade (# of teeth) would be appropriate or is this just acrazy thought?

HNI_Christine 01-02-2009 05:19 PM

RE: Question for DIY deer butchers

I've never seen a table saw used for cutting steaks. I think there's three problems with using a tablesaw.

#1 not enough blade height to cut decent sized steaks.

#2 more dangerous than a bandsaw. (it seems people cut themselves up on tablesaws more than bandsaws)

#3 unless you can find a pretty thin blade with real fine teeth, you'll turn a lot of steak into deer dust.

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-02-2009 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I've never seen a table saw used for cutting steaks. I think there's three problems with using a tablesaw.

#1 not enough blade height to cut decent sized steaks.

#2 more dangerous than a bandsaw. (it seems people cut themselves up on tablesaws more than bandsaws)

#3 unless you can find a pretty thin blade with real fine teeth, you'll turn a lot of steak into deer dust.
I agree, plus your going to have one hell of a mess to clean up.

Rick, I debone everything as well. I tend to make smaller steaks that way. ;)

I'd imagine if you must, you could cut to the bone with a knife and then a reciprocating saw would work on the bone. ?

sandilands 01-02-2009 05:29 PM

I would go with crazy. Is your saw brand new? If not you would sawdust all over your meat. Plus the blade is too thick. Just bone it out. My 2 cents

Rickmur 01-02-2009 05:31 PM

Reciprocating saw doesn't work,tried that on the last deer:D. I can get the height on the blade though and yes, it would be a mess to clean up but you don't know how much I hate the whole process of deboneing[:'(]

magicman54494 01-02-2009 05:39 PM

I shudder at the thought of someone using a table saw. I'm a skilled carpenter and I would never try this. Very dangerous! They call the last guy that tried it "Lefty"[8D]
You could try a skill saw and just cut right off the hanging carcass:D

Phil from Maine 01-02-2009 05:40 PM

I find it relatively easy to debone a deer.. ( except for ribs which I choose to cut with a reciprocating saw) after deboning I like to lay the meat on a cookie sheet and set in the freezer to firm up. Then it is fairly easy to cut the steaks up that way. ButI also agree with the no way to a table saw....I like my fingers and hands just to much to try it..

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-02-2009 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Reciprocating saw doesn't work,tried that on the last deer:D. I can get the height on the blade though and yes, it would be a mess to clean up but you don't know how much I hate the whole process of deboneing[:'(]
LOL, then I'm thinking hacksaw. I'm missing a finger because of a wood splitter, don't go with the table saw idea, please don't.

davidmil 01-02-2009 06:10 PM

Maybe you're making this deboning harder than it has to be. Once I get the hide off a deer I usually have the backstraps and hams deboned in about 15 minutes. It's not that hard a deal. Once you know how the hip bones and all go you just feel it off with the knife. Maybe you should look on line for a video that shows you how to do it. I then put it on trays with drainage pads, cover the meat with cling wrap or similar stuff and put in the fridge for a couple days. When I get ready cut it up, I work with one piece at a time. It only takes a minute to section the hindquarters, peel off the silver and tallow while the meat is still cold and somewhat firm. The right knife cuts the steaks in no time. Vacuum pack and you're done. I vaccum them flat beside each other and not stacked on each other. They thaw faster and store better. Don't do the saws bit. Would be messy and wastful.

lnen#1 01-02-2009 06:13 PM

i just debone-straps-tenderloins-top/bottom rounds-sirloins about all i mess with