Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for DIY deer butchers >

Question for DIY deer butchers

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for DIY deer butchers

Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for DIY deer butchers

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Reciprocating saw doesn't work,tried that on the last deer. I can get the height on the blade though and yes, it would be a mess to clean up but you don't know how much I hate the whole process of deboneing[:'(]
Rick,
There's a video somewhere, I believe on the KY DNR website, and it shows pretty nicely how to bone out a deer. I've NEVER used a saw to butcher a deer, none of the 5 I butchered this year did I really seethe need. Take a peek at a couple videos, it will make things a little easier.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

just debone and forget about using saws much easier i think. the more you do it the faster you get.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way I can skin bone and wrap a deer in 1.5 hrs. The more you do it the easier it is. I'm in the process of renovating my garage. Once I get it finished I plan on doing a step by step tutorial. With pics to post on HNI.
I also find I get a better quality meat with boning it out. I can get more fat out from b/w the muscles.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sandilands

By the way I can skin bone and wrap a deer in 1.5 hrs. The more you do it the easier it is. I'm in the process of renovating my garage. Once I get it finished I plan on doing a step by step tutorial. With pics to post on HNI.
I also find I get a better quality meat with boning it out. I can get more fat out from b/w the muscles.
Not trying to hijack your thread Rick but I've got a question here for Robert here being were on the butchering subject. Being you know your **** with butchering what percentage of the dressed weight of the deer should one have for meat when done butchering? I butchered up my deer tonight and weighed my trimmings and steaks and It was 20% of what the dressed weight of the deer was. Seems light to me and I always take every little bit and piece of meat that I can find.

And Rick, I wouldn't touch a skill saw while butchering!! Sounds way to dangerous.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I agree, plus your going to have one hell of a mess to clean up.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I would just debone....what do you want with the bones anyway? I don't take my deer to a locker because I want MY DEER and not somebody elses that maybe didn't know how to take care of their deer. Lockers around here just mix it all up, especially the ground meat...they weigh your meat and you get back an estimated weight of what you brought in. Best advice is to do a deer when it is warm and you won't despise the chore. Rejoice in the chore; it means you were successful in your hunt.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I am going to follow these threads about butchering very closely as I totally suck at it. I too am sick and tired of paying $75-$80 to have one processed........not counting the .40 lb. for tenderizing plus more for sausage, jerky, etc.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

It is a crazy thought. Band saws are used to cut bone. All of the actual meat is cut with a knife.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also process my own deer.What you are considering is quite dangerous,I would avoid that like the plague.Deboning does not take long at all with the right tools,hack saw a couple of sharp longer flexible knives.Backstraps,tenderloins,front shoulders hindquarters,neck,rib meat.Just follow the seams.
As others have said you can refrigerate or freeze a little to get the meat to firm up a bit,or to work on it at your convenience over a couple day period of time.
Having a friend or family member help makes it go super fast if they are experienced.I have a friend who most often helps and I return the favor.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It has to be frozen/hard. I wouldn't use a table saw, but frozen I suppose any blade would do.

Have you tried a chainsaw?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

It was just a crazy thought that I have abandend. I will continue to debone like I always have. I only take it to a processor when I don't have time and it's warm out to mess with it. It takes me about 3 hours or so to complete the chore.

Quick Reply: Question for DIY deer butchers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.