Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

No doubt Fast bows are a little more forgiving on range estimation, and that's the reason I like a fast bow.

Last time I heard a pie platewas 9" diameter. If someone with a Fast bow shoots at an animal at 40 yards with their 20 yard pin they are most of the time coming home empty handed, and at worst have a wounded animal.

Even with a fast bow you need to know your yardage as close as possible, and use the appropriate pin or KY. elevation.

I havekilled several animals from 40 to 84 yards, but I have never made a 40 yard kill using a 20 yard pin.

I'd Know better!

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

No doubt Fast bows are a little more forgiving on range estimation, and that's the reason I like a fast bow.

Last time I heard a pie platewas 9" diameter. If someone with a Fast bow shoots at an animal at 40 yards with their 20 yard pin they are most of the time coming home empty handed, and at worst have a wounded animal.

Even with a fast bow you need to know your yardage as close as possible, and use the appropriate pin or KY. elevation.

I havekilled several animals from 40 to 84 yards, but I have never made a 40 yard kill using a 20 yard pin.

I'd Know better!

Dan
Well yea..that is a no brainer...if an animal is estimated at 40 yds with a speed bow,,just put your one pin on the high side of the kill zone. You can't lose with that way of shooting. But if an archer can't tell the difference between 20 yds and 40 yds..then a guy better get out of the sport of archery and take up playing poker as a hobby.So...with a speed bow, estimating yardage out out 40 yds is not very crucial is what I am saying and with my past setups..it was.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter
My arrow will hit a pie pan from 20 to 40 yds holding the same.
When you said holding the Same I was fairly certain you usually aimed for the center of your target.

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned

My arrow will hit a pie pan from 20 to 40 yds holding the same.
When you said holding the Same I was fairly certain you usually aimed for the center of your target.

Dan
Yea lol... What I should have said with my original post is that my changes for momentum and kinetic energy for the year have been to go with my new speed bow which allows me to put my one 20 yd pin in the kill zone out to 40 yds and still be in the kill zone with one pin. Something I have never enjoyed in the past with my previous bows. Which makes judging yardage out to 40 not critical, since all I have to do is put my one pin in the kill zone and I will hit the vitals from 10-40 yds.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Site Buck Guru

Depending on what your definition of the kill zone is, you won't be able to keep your arrow in that zone with a pin that is sighted in for 20 yards.

For example: If a deers body in the chest area is 14" deep and your kill zone is an 8" diameter circle which is centered from top to bottom, you will not keep your arrow in the kill zone if you hold your 20 yard pin at the top of the kill zone. You will have more than 8" of drop at 40 yards with your 20 yard pin.

I measured the yardage gap on my sure-loc sight with a bow that was shooting 321 fps. From 20 to 50 yards the gap was 15/32". Roughly 5/32 for every 10 yards. That would be a 5/16" gap between 20 and 40 yards, slightly more than a 1/4".

A better way to insure accuracy would be to have 2 pins for your speed bow. Possibly, 15 and 35 yard pins would do the trick. One pin sighted in at 20 yards and shooting out to 40 yards would leave too much room for error. You may get away with one pin if it was sighted in for 30 yards.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 PM

Not me. Right in the kill zone. Don't know how fast I am shooting though...no chrono.

So you are saying your setup drops less than 3" from 20 to 40 yards? A Deer's kill zone is approx. 9" I guess actually you could drop 4" and graze the edge, but......................................

I'd take that bet, and I'm sure many 3D shooters who are more accurate than I am would back me up.
No....a kill zone is the size is the diameter of a pie pan. My arrow will hit a pie pan from 20 to 40 yds holding the same. what I am saying is that by having a fast flat shooting bow, guessing yardage is WAY less critical. And to me, I can see that would be a huge advantage when hunting out west where long shots can be the norm.
True, but........I don't know of any bowhunters that deliberately aim for the upper 1/3 of a deer's kill zone.* So you're AIMING zone is only about 4". If you're shooting a 20 yard pin at 40 yards, you need to be holding high. If you hold your 20 yard pin right behind the shoulder at 40 yards, yer gonna miss.

* Unless they are shooting from an elevated position, and the deer is close. In that case, they WANT to hit the deer high.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Well, I am putting my 20yd single pin HHA on the of the 4 1/2" line , which is the kill zone, and the arrows are staying right around the simulated black heart area(kill zone). I just went and stepped 40 yds to confirm. Here is my arrow. 61# 29" draw. Maybe getting rid of the factory string stop and installing the P.O.S. brand string stopper is what helps my bow shoot faster

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever you say DonTry it on a live deer, and see if you Kill that deer.

O Yeah!! Aim for the center of the Kill area like you eluded you can do.

If you Aim at the top of the kill area that's using KY elevation like I eluded to.[8D]

I'll believe Randy Ulmer's shooting measurements over mine or yours

I know you are NOT going to shoot a Deer at 40 yards with a 20 yard pinwithout using some KY elevation, but someone that reads this might think it's possible.

Not!!

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Whatever you say DonTry it on a live deer, and see if you Kill that deer.

O Yeah!! Aim for the center of the Kill area like you eluded you can do.

If you Aim at the top of the kill area that's using KY elevation like I eluded to.[8D]

I know you are NOT going to shoot a Deer at 40 yards with a 20 yard pinwithout using some KY elevation, but someone that reads this might think it's possible.

Not!!

Dan
This is on flat ground too. So shooting from 30' up like I sit in a tree and out to 40 yds should even be flatter as gravity has less effect. BTW..I would have got a MeanV and just teasing ya...the P.O.S. was just a deal I couldn't refuse from some guy that had two.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Yea..but we are better bow hunters and DEFINITELY better looking than him [8D]

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.