Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

'Adult compounds'

It's not like I'm shooting a 'kids'' compound.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Not changing any thing. I have been shooting around 400 gr carbons with 100 gr. broadheads for years and have had a 100 % pass through on mature bucks and elk. They all group in a 3 inch spot out to 50 yards. Way change a perfect set up.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Christine you are the exception to the statements.........short draw length, low draw weight with an "adult" bow and can benefit from the discussion. Man that must suck.

Good thing you can shoot.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget, I'm left handed too.

Woe is me.

[8D]
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand that ANY broadhead shot thru a bow of 40# or more at a deer broadside will most likely pass thu any deer ..... doi

The WHOLE PURPOSE of this thread is to address shots that are less than perfect ......maximizing penetration of your arrow would be a good thing ...yes? That is the only reason I would consider changing ...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony
The WHOLE PURPOSE of this thread is to address shots that are less than perfect ......maximizing penetration of your arrow would be a good thing ...yes? That is the only reason I would consider changing ...
That's why many times I use an arrow that maximizes KE where I know my shots will be close, and trajectory will not be an issue.

I figure why not, but like I said put me in the open and I'm back to my lighter arrows

Dan
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

A 29" 340 FMJ with wraps, 4" vanes and a 125 gr. head will come in pretty close to 500 grains.
LOL that is my exact arrow actually, except I have blazers which is why I think mine is a bit shy of 500.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
N2D

Interesting this post came up. I just got in from shooting and tuning my bow.Decided that for spine issues I needed to turnmy draw weightdown about three pounds for a 125grain Bh. Now I don't know which way to go.At 58# I can shoot a 370grain arroww/125 bhor I can shoot a 345 grain arrow w/100 grain bh?My shots are usually under 20 yardssoI am leaning towards the heavier set up.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year I used a 447 grain arrow moving 296 fps,pulling 63 lbs.....something like 86 ft lbs KE. It works. I think that I will be slightly lighter next year only out of arrow choice rather than a need for more speed. That said, I set out this year to build a 425ish arrow to go 300 fps while only pulling 63 lbs, I just ended up a bit heavier than expected.

I am blessed with ape arms.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM

I simply shoot what flies best out of my bow. So far, I'm getting very good results with Maxima Hunters, with 100grain tips, I'm at 340grains. The setup up I used for hogs weighed in at 309 grains and achieved a complete passthru on a 200lb+ hog. This pastOctober I had the unfortunate incident of hitting the scap on young buckand I was lucky to get 5" of penetration. I ended up losing him[&o]. Same setup thatblew through the hogs. Just yesterday I went on a ram hunt and achieved a complete passthru with a Rage 2 blade.
I don't care how heavy or light my arrows are or what kind of broadheads I use, one fact remains. I do not have "punch" to blow througha scapula, spine, or any other big bone. The best thing I can do is match the broadhead and arrow weight to the game I'm hunting and bust only ribs. Shot placement is critical and that's why I place accuracy above all else.

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.