Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Fast Bows are so stupid.

285 gr. arrow

285 gr. Arrow

340 gr. arrow

340 gr. arrow

I'll just never understand the fear of deviating from the norms. Seriously, whatever happened to looking some know-it-all in the face, saying "**** off," and trusting your own gut and doing whatever the hell it is that you want to do?

Seriously.

Trust yourself and do what you wanna do. It really shouldn't matter what some random guy on the internet thinks about what you're doing. Grow a pair and do your own thing.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

I didn't read all the posts here but I know that I played around with this alot this summer. My 101st airborne is shooting my hunting arrows set up at 301 FPS and I have 2 inchs of drop at 30 yards useing my 20 yard pin and 6 inchs at 40 yards useing my 20 yard pin. Now would I use my 20 yard pin out to 40 yards on a real live animal no way 6 inchs is alot more than 6 when the deer can move.. Walt
Sounds right. Something else to consider is what I mentioned earlier...when up 30' in a tree, trajectory is of MUCH less a factor and if the animal is right below and only out from you at 15 yds..shoot a little lower than you normally would, otherwise you will shoot high when up as high as I hunt.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-152851.html
Some posts worry me. No it doesn't change because you are in a tree, it still is the same. Arrow trajectory and distance is based from the base of the tree, and for most hunting distances, this doesnt change more than 2-3 yards MAX than what a rangefinder on stand would tell you. Rule of thumb, range it subtract 1 yard and let er fly. Even at 30' (rarely hunted this high, overestimation by hunters in most cases) the difference is neglible.

You are holding high whether you admit to it or not..you may even be doing it without realizing it. But your bow, can no way on earth accomplish a true 4" drop at 40 yards from 20 yards. it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. Not saying you can't easily use one pin, but you must compensate. Ky elevation as Meanv says.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

I've not seen an arrow flying fast enough to only have 4", or less, drop from 20-40 yards. Last year when I was shooting 320 FPS I had 3" from 20-30......And you're saying you have less than that from 10 yards farther?

I shoot an HHA single pin as well. In a hunting situation, I leave my pin set on 27 yards. I'm 1 1/2" low at 30 and 1 1/2" high at 20. I simply cannot see how anyone could have less than 4" of drop from 20-40 yards. What I've found is that the more experienced archers will, subconciously, account for the yardage and hold a little higher without really realizing it. You would have to be shooting in excess of well over 400 fps for those kinds of ballistics. And, shooting a really light arrow to get those speeds.....And as we know, a light arrow loses it's velocity much quicker than a heavier arrow.

I didn't read all this and without opening it,I knew where it would go.I jumped in at the end and I read back a couple pages to see what was going on and all I can say is that some people have no clue about trajectory and ballistics.Mobo and MeanV are showing what real world results should actually yield.

All I can say to those others is that their 20 yard pin is off a little.[8D]
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just ran a 400 fps setup on AA and it shows a 4" drop from 40 to 46 yards and about 4 1/2" from 30 - 43
Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

I didn't read all the posts here but I know that I played around with this alot this summer. My 101st airborne is shooting my hunting arrows set up at 301 FPS and I have 2 inchs of drop at 30 yards useing my 20 yard pin and 6 inchs at 40 yards useing my 20 yard pin. Now would I use my 20 yard pin out to 40 yards on a real live animal no way 6 inchs is alot more than 6 when the deer can move.. Walt
Sounds right. Something else to consider is what I mentioned earlier...when up 30' in a tree, trajectory is of MUCH less a factor and if the animal is right below and only out from you at 15 yds..shoot a little lower than you normally would, otherwise you will shoot high when up as high as I hunt.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-152851.html
Some posts worry me. No it doesn't change because you are in a tree, it still is the same. Arrow trajectory and distance is based from the base of the tree, and for most hunting distances, this doesnt change more than 2-3 yards MAX than what a rangefinder on stand would tell you. Rule of thumb, range it subtract 1 yard and let er fly. Even at 30' (rarely hunted this high, overestimation by hunters in most cases) the difference is neglible.

You are holding high whether you admit to it or not..you may even be doing it without realizing it. But your bow, can no way on earth accomplish a true 4" drop at 40 yards from 20 yards. it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. Not saying you can't easily use one pin, but you must compensate. Ky elevation as Meanv says.
Yes..shooting straight up or straight down changes trajectory. so does elevation of where you live. Thin air...arrrows fly flatter, low humidity..air temp...all factors for flatter trajectory. ..maybe subconsiously definatley a possibility holding high or the form I have when I shoot..actually more than likely sighted in for 25 yds or more and just calling it at 20 since I am in the diameter of a popcan high at 20 yds. Can't argue with the others answers on AT and the editor of a Bowhunting magazine having similar results as me. I can say this with confidence; when I am up in my tree and I put my pin on the top of the kill zone with my 82nd on a deer at 40 yds; my arrow will hit the vitals. And that is the topic of discussion as it seems.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My program does account for arrow weight,but does not account for the thinner air but I doubt there is a 10" desparity.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I just ran a 400 fps setup on AA and it shows a 4" drop from 40 to 46 yards and about 4 1/2" from 30 - 43
what grain of arrow? What temp, what humidity, what elevation?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Whatever you say Don Try it on a live deer, and see if you Kill that deer.

O Yeah!! Aim for the center of the Kill area like you eluded you can do.

If you Aim at the top of the kill area that's using KY elevation like I eluded to.[8D]

I'll believe Randy Ulmer's shooting measurements over mine or yours

I know you are NOT going to shoot a Deer at 40 yards with a 20 yard pin without using some KY elevation, but someone that reads this might think it's possible.

Not!!

Dan
This is on flat ground too. So shooting from 30' up like I sit in a tree and out to 40 yds should even be flatter as gravity has less effect. BTW..I would have got a MeanV and just teasing ya...the P.O.S. was just a deal I couldn't refuse from some guy that had two.

Gravity has no clue or care that you are shooting downhill.The shot is the same when shot uphill.The flat/straightline distance is all that matters,as trevor states.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Also Tembry....so i shoot straight down into a ravine at an elk that is STRAIGHT below me on a sharp incline, and it is 50 yds away and I should allow at least 15" of arrow drop so hold high on its back??? I will shoot over it's back as the arrow is not dropping due to me shooting downward. same if the animals is straight up a cliff above me. In this case you will shoot high if you think your arrow is going to drop 15" by what a chart shows.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

what grain of arrow? What temp, what humidity, what elevation?

I was using a 300 grain arrow to get 400 fps and like I said,it doesn't account for air.BUT no way in hell is that making a 10" difference,just ain't gonna happen.

Your pin is not a true 20 and you are aiming higher than you think to get the results that I truly feel you believe you are getting.

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.