Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I simply shoot what flies best out of my bow. So far, I'm getting very good results with Maxima Hunters, with 100grain tips, I'm at 340grains. The setup up I used for hogs weighed in at 309 grains and achieved a complete passthru on a 200lb+ hog. This pastOctober I had the unfortunate incident of hitting the scap on young buckand I was lucky to get 5" of penetration. I ended up losing him[&o]. Same setup thatblew through the hogs. Just yesterday I went on a ram hunt and achieved a complete passthru with a Rage 2 blade.
I don't care how heavy or light my arrows are or what kind of broadheads I use, one fact remains. I do not have "punch" to blow througha scapula, spine, or any other big bone. The best thing I can do is match the broadhead and arrow weight to the game I'm hunting and bust only ribs. Shot placement is critical and that's why I place accuracy above all else.
Good post!!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

My arrow weighs in right at 500 grains give or take. It thumps the target compared to older lighter arrows, quieter on the shot, neglible difference in speed.

I didnt have to choose between the two though. With my calculated speed (shop chrono down still), my bow is cranking 80-81 foot lbs of KE, and momentum is up there as well having the heavier arrow.
That's a TON of KE!! I shoot a 501gr arrow as well out of my Vectrix XL.My chrono speed is only 250fps at 63lbs (maxed) and 30". But I get a deer pounding 69 1/2 ft lbs of KE! I could get aMUCH faster arrow speed (less KE) shooting a lighter arrow, but I'll take KE over sheer speed any day.KE does the killing, notso much the speed.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

I am swapping out my 8.6 gpi arrows for the new Trophy Ridge 8.0 gpi arrows and getting the 5 grain speed nocks vice the heavier 15 grain standard knocks that I have now. I am also switching from a Hostage rest to a QAD Ultra LD. All of this should give me an increase in speed.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm good to go. I couldn't tell you what my arrows weigh but I always get pass thrus with my fixed head. I will use the infamous two blade this spring on my gobblers though. I think it will be ideal for that. Chris
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been shooting easton aluminum arrows so i am not sure of my wieght except that they have always been heavey..31 inch,2419s, arrowswith a 145 grain broadhead at 80 pound pull and it appears to be a bit much of an over kill. I agree with shot placement being the biggest factor in shooting a deer or any other animal. Shoot them right and you will be able to get them.. So this time around I plan on lightening up a bit..I am getting a new bow shortly and will look at different arrow wieghts as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am thinking about going back to 125gr. broadheads and slowing my arrows down to 303fps for better downrange accuracy and KE. Currently I am shooting 310fps with 100gr. Broadheads and a total arrow weight of 403gr. getting 88# KE.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

IF your shooting a modern compound with adult draw lengths and weights with any at leastIBO legalarrow (5grs per lb of draw weight)and not getting complete penetration (offside leg on quartering away shots not included) thenthere are otherfactorsworking againstyou more worthy of looking at than a few grains in arrow weight.

I agree totally.

On one of my bows I'm going to go with a lighter arrow this year.... Just to use on some of my more 'open area' hunts...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

My arrow weighs in right at 500 grains give or take. It thumps the target compared to older lighter arrows, quieter on the shot, neglible difference in speed.

I didnt have to choose between the two though. With my calculated speed (shop chrono down still), my bow is cranking 80-81 foot lbs of KE, and momentum is up there as well having the heavier arrow.
That's a TON of KE!! I shoot a 501gr arrow as well out of my Vectrix XL.My chrono speed is only 250fps at 63lbs (maxed) and 30". But I get a deer pounding 69 1/2 ft lbs of KE! I could get aMUCH faster arrow speed (less KE) shooting a lighter arrow, but I'll take KE over sheer speed any day.KE does the killing, notso much the speed.
Out of my Airborne 82nd at 61# I'm shooting a 360 grain arrow at 306fps. If I remember right that's over 72# of KE and that's at only 28" draw.
I've never checked my 500 grain arrows to see what they are packing but I'm sure it should be more.

Dan
Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting my 82nd at 62#, 28.5" DL, and a 428 gr. arrow at 374fps. That gives me 71.36# of KE.....

I am not planning to change this year.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

I am shooting my 82nd at 62#, 28.5" DL, and a 428 gr. arrow at 374fps. That gives me 71.36# of KE.....

I am not planning to change this year.
That's impressive! Do you only need one pin for all of your hunting ranges? [:-]

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.