Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way >

You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default RE: You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

You wouldnt catch me dead in a climber in those woods Tfox, not when theres a blind that nice kickin around!
Yea comfy...but how many mature bucks are walking by that thing within bow range during legal shooting hours.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don and everyone else who uses the lone wolf sticks and alpha or assault.For a morning hunt,do you pretty much know what tree your going up? You would practically have to as you can't evaluate sign in the dark,certainly can determine prevailing winds.
I am more inclined to use the sticks and light stand in the afternoon and go right up a tree in the morning.I guess with a bright eye or two in a tree and getting there well in advance of first light it could work out pretty well.
An other alternative would be to have a number of tree's that you have steps in and go in with just the stand on your back.Not as stealthy but pretty flexible.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Don and everyone else who uses the lone wolf sticks and alpha or assault.For a morning hunt,do you pretty much know what tree your going up? You would practically have to as you can't evaluate sign in the dark,certainly can determine prevailing winds.
I am more inclined to use the sticks and light stand in the afternoon and go right up a tree in the morning.I guess with a bright eye or two in a tree and getting there well in advance of first light it could work out pretty well.
An other alternative would be to have a number of tree's that you have steps in and go in with just the stand on your back.Not as stealthy but pretty flexible.
I rarely hunt AM's and do 90% late afternoon till dark hunts. When I do hunt am's, I have found that approx 10 am till 2 00pm is gr8 during rut prerut. Morning hunting is something that i have found over the years to be not all that productive. Obviously one would have to know his woods well if he was going in in the dark and setting up. I have on occasions and I know where I am going...can't scout in the dark and look at terrain for funnels.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

The blinds are great for gun hunting and for kids but they are a pita to shoot a bow out of.Plus,you aren't getting close enough in most cases for a bow shot.

There are several of these blinds where I hunt and most have heaters and big chairs in them.They are nice when you are out on an all day hunt to take a break and warm up though.

If anyone would like to see some of them,just pm me.I have pics of most of them.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM

I just watched the video and I'll take my climber any day over that set up. From the base of the tree to 22' up takes me less than 5 min. minus all the extra movement and straps and this and that which the video shows. Too many pieces for me.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

I have shot 56% of my mature bucks before 9:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Like I keep saying; climbers wont work most of the time. Lets' see you put a climber in this tree. [8D]

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Like I keep saying; climbers wont work most of the time. Lets' see you put a climber in this tree. [8D]

Lets see you pan out for a shot and show the straight telephone like tree 10 yards down.[8D]
Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

That tree is going to offer more cover,even if you happen to have that telephone pole 10 yards away.Plus,that 10 yards might have too much in the way for a good shot at the trail.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

I have shot 56% of my mature bucks before 9:00 AM.
I'd say my % is even slightlyhigher. Mornings are great, but you have to be setup in a spot that is huntable mornings. I doubt you can stumble in the woods in the dark and hope to scout and setup.

Dan

Quick Reply: You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.