Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way >

You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default RE: You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Wouldnt it just be easier to use a climber..?..Takes 30 seconds to set on the tree and climbing is a breeze

Old 01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Bingo...I agree....ground blinds..climbers...hangons...all tools that are effective....one way is not the answer...
Terrific statement! I have places where I can use my climber, but I have as many if not more where I can use my
Assault and sticks because the climber is just not an option. IF I want to have a better opportunity at shots.

For example: I may start hunting the nearby public land again next year and there are some thick nasty places that are unable to accomodate any climber.Also, most guys on public land use a climber, I can get away from most of the crowd by going to those thick nasty places by using my sticks and hangon if I choose. I'm not real big on leaving a hangon on public land though its legal here. Brotherinlaw had his stolen two years ago.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

More power to you guys. I aint going through all that everytime I go to hunt. Too much time, noise and disturbance for me.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your public land hunting I can see doing it that way. Not for me though, Im in my tree and ready in one minute not thirty. No doubt it works for you Don, you've proven that. I manage to get lucky every year with set stands though. Chris
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Wouldnt it just be easier to use a climber..?..Takes 30 seconds to set on the tree and climbing is a breeze

I agree also that is why i am looking at this system. I use all of of the above and each has its place . Also i think others are confusing getting sweaty with hunting . I sometimes get sweaty using a climber or just the long walk out to my hang on. I also haveat times just ghillied out in the bushes on the ground with success . that gets you heart pumping .
i like options. some spots i can hunt one way but not another
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don what is the bad part about the straps that come with the sticks to make you change them to those utility constrictor ropes ?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

Don what is the bad part about the straps that come with the sticks to make you change them to those utility constrictor ropes ?
Well..not that the LW straps are bad..these are just better.....these UCR's are 7' instead of 4' so I have bigger trees as an option to hunt, 6 of them weigh 1 1/2 lbs less than the straps, and there is no metal on metal contact noise like a buckle has. My sticks are getting sprayed with a truck bedliner coating this summer so I have no metal on metal noise.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about hanging the stand after the sticks??
Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

What about hanging the stand after the sticks??
I hook my pull up cord to my belt loop and when I get to the top I pull the stand up and hang it. I do climb back down to hook up my bow and pack BUT you can climb up only once and set the sticks, hang the stand, and hop right in and pull your bow up if you carry the stand on your back with the end of the rope attached to your bow. I have done both ways and I prefer to not have the stand on my back while climbing and it is only about 30 seconds to climb down and attach bow.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The stand hangs in just a couple minutes.

I am 140# soaking wet and have no trouble carrying my sticks and alpha in and setting them up.

For those that think he is taking a long time in the video.He is talking you through it which is taking much more time than it does in reality.It always took me more time with a climber,especially when you factor in finding the right tree.

Quick Reply: You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.