HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats the most important deer sign when scouting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/280737-whats-most-important-deer-sign-when-scouting.html)

ABarOfSoap 12-31-2008 01:46 PM

Whats the most important deer sign when scouting?

When your picking a new spot to hunt, whats the most important things you look for when deciding if this spot is good, do you look for rubs, scrapes, alot of deer prints... Now i know all these things in one spot is ideal but the public land im using has and area with alot of rubs only, one area it seems a few deer bed, one they eat at, so im having trouble choosing...
Whats your favorite deer sign to hunt near?

wallhangr 12-31-2008 01:54 PM

RE: Whats the most important deer sign when scouting?

The yellow one with the big buck on it that tells you exactly their range, like "next 3 miles".[8D]

Really depends on time of year, especially with the rubs and scrapes. If you found the bedding and feeding areas you're in good shape now.

MichaelP 12-31-2008 01:55 PM

All sign is good, but I like to find tracks and do do. You may find rubs and the buck lives 2 miles away, but if you find tracks and crap the deer are frequenting the area. Now if you want to hunt big bucks etc, then fine tuning is needed. I am strictly talking about deer in general.

dave37 12-31-2008 01:56 PM

ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE -- the deer itself

no really though , the area with a lot of rubs (travel corridor) -

id be willing to bet its between the bedding and food source right ?

set up between the two ( bedding and food) bedding (a.m. set) food (p.m. set) throw your cam in there and get the lowdown of whats movin where - when. then decide where to jump in there. this late in the season id stay on the food depending on what it is. the more frost/snow we have the more limited they are to food greatly increasing your chances on a good source. thats my .02

stikbow26 12-31-2008 02:11 PM

Not trying to sound funny but the big buck it self. I want to know where the big boy is hanging out soit is mostly what I have seen either spotting scope or just my eyes.We do alot of in season scouting from observation stands or driving around theroads and checking fields. If I am going downto southern Illinois for 5 days I will take 1 day and in the morning and night and just drive or sit and watch for where the big boys are hanging out and then move in for the rest of the 4 days.. Walt

Deleted User 12-31-2008 02:20 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

magicman54494 12-31-2008 03:25 PM

The sign that says "Parking reserved for GregH" lol

All sign is important taken as a whole. Each piece adds to solving the puzzle in where to set up. Also the freshness of that sign.

early in 12-31-2008 04:30 PM

I like to findlots offresh poopy.:DThat means they're spending time there.;)

hunting junkie 12-31-2008 08:39 PM

I hunt the tracks, your on public land so the rub or scrape you hunt today could have been killed
by the hunter that was there yesterday

hardcorehunter 12-31-2008 08:49 PM

I look for tracks